Will there be pain after Coolsculpting or not?

Considereing getting getting a Coolsculping done withing the next week or so, but I wanted to know will I be in pain after the procedure and following days? I have read reviews that said they were in a lot of pain and some say no pain! I plan on getting procedure done on a Saturday and go to work on Monday is this ok?

Coolsculpting

Hi,

There is no down time with coolsculpting. Some patients will experience pain, bruising, and swelling. Most people go back to work right after the treatment.

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You can resume normal activities immediately after the treatment. There is very little discomfort with CoolSculpting. You may be left with some swelling, bruising, and tenderness for about 2 weeks. All the best. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Pain after Coolsculpting

You can absolutely return to work on Monday, we even have patients who go to work immediately after their treatments. There are no restrictions post Coolsculpting. Every patient responds differently to the swelling and tenderness associated with the procedure, but this should only last about 2 weeks. Hope this helps! 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Pain After CoolSculpting

Hi purple. Pain is a very subjective thing. What may be uncomfortable for you may not be for someone else and vice versa. In our experience, most people have minimal to no discomfort after the treatment. Probably about 5% of the time someone has discomfort that is a little more than average and may need ibuprofen to control. I don't think we have ever had anyone say they had to miss work because of pain. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Pain.

Hi and thank you for your question.  Typically most people experience mild to moderate discomfort post CoolSculpting.  I have had a lot of patients experience no pain at all and I have had some patients experience a lot of discomfort.  The majority of my patients experience discomfort in the treated areas but nothing that would prohibit them from returning to their normal routine after the procedure.  The good news is that your treating M.D can prescribe you some medication to help you get thru.  Good luck!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and pain

Hi purple41,

It is difficult to predict who will experience significant pain after Coolsculpting. In my experience, the majority of patients are able to return to work with no issues. If patients do experience pain (which is temporary, by the way), we call in prescription medications to help keep them comfortable. Good luck!

Elizabeth Geddes-Bruce, MD, MS
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting

Hi,
 Pain after this procedure usually is more limited to a day or so but I do have patients say that it was longer.  The degree of pain varies with each patient but I think it is safe that you can go back to work (assuming not excessively physical) if you have your treatment on Saturday.  
 Ask your plastic surgeon this same question and see how they feel in their experience.

Is there pain after CoolSculpting?

There is no way to predict if you might have pain after a CoolSculpting procedure or not.  Some people have no pain and some people do have pain.  In addition, people have varying degrees in how they perceive pain.  If there is pain, there can be different types as well.  Some people may have just some mild soreness and others can have a sharp, stabbing like pain.  Mild soreness normally resolves fairly quickly by itself.  If there is sharp, stabbing pain, there is a prescription medication that will normally help with this.  If patients do get the sharp, stabbing pain, this normally will only occur on the abdomen and not other areas that may be treated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon