What kind of breast surgery would be best for me? 22, no kids, on the heavier side (Photo)

My breasts are too small for my body and they sag and are all around unpleasant to look at. My cleave disgusts me, and there is so much clothes I don't wear because of this. I have never, ever, ever once in my life truly liked my breasts, and it's heartbreaking. What should I do? First off, what would be best to deal with the acne and scarring? And secondly, what would be the best way to get larger, more beautiful breasts? Should I go fat transfer? Silicone? Gummy bear? Please help!

Doctor Answers 24

What kind of breast surgery would be best for me? 22, no kids, on the heavier side

Thanks for your question and photo Clara.  You can expect to get as many options as opinions on this website and would need to find a plastic surgeon certified by the ABPS who makes you feel comfortable and confident after reviewing before-and-after photos to discuss your options.  You should certainly plan on clearing your skin before undergoing any surgery especially when involving incisions and placement of an implant, but once done I think you will like the improvement that you can achieve from a full mastopexy combined with placement of silicone cohesive gel implants.  My own recommendation and custom is to use round smooth mid profile or mid-profile plus implants placed partially subpectorally.  Other doctors will have different recommendations and preferences but you can expect to achieve a very nice improvement.  Once you have selected your surgeon review all options with him/her and best wishes for a happy outcome.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast surgery options

Thank you for your photo. The best thing to do is to have an in-office examination to measure your breasts and to determine what the best options would be. Generally speaking, it appears that you would benefit from a breast lift to reposition and resize your nipples as well as implants to improve the shape, volume, and fullness of your breasts. Your acne and scarring can be best treated by a dermatologist who can control your acne to minimize future scarring and outbreaks. It is important that you manage any active skin infections you may have prior to having breast implants to minimize the risk of contamination and related complications. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your breasts. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an examination of your breasts done. Based on the photos you have posted, it seems as though a lift may be necessary, a breast augmentation with implants will add projection and volume but may not be sufficient to correct the sagging appearance. In regards to the acne and scarring, a dermatologist can exam this and come up with a skin care plan for you to keep the acne under control and get rid/reduce the scarring. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Breast Surgery options

Hi Claralucia. I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with your breasts, but do thank you for sharing your photo with us. Based on the photo, I would suggest a breast augmentation and breast lift to correct a "saggy" appearance and to improve the volume and shape of your breasts. It always best to seek an in-person consultation with an experienced board-certified surgeon who can assess you in person and give you a more accurate opinion.

We wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Breast surgery

Thank you for your question and photo.  If you are dissatisfied with your breasts the good news is there is corrective surgery you can have.  You are an excellent candidate for a breast lift with an implant.  This procedure well give you fuller looking breasts on top and reshape your breasts in a perkier position.  It would be best for you to see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon who performs a lot of these breast surgeries.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Corrective Breast Surgery for a 22 Year Old, No Kids, On the Heavier Side

Thank you for your question and photo. While an in-person evaluation would be best, your photo does reveal some good information. Besides the sagging that you complain of, the ""unpleasant" look you mention appears to be due to a tubular breast shape. Again, an in-person evaluation with an experienced plastic surgeon will confirm this. They will also be able to help you decide the best type of implant for your goal.

The best way to correct your breast shape and give you "larger, more beautiful breasts" is to have a breast augmentation and breast lift (mastopexy) performed at the same time. During the surgery, correction of the tubular shape will be performed at the same time.

As for your acne and scarring, please see a dermatologist for treatment. I hope this helps to put you on the right track!

Gabriel Chiu, DO
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

Breast surgery

To get your breasts to look their best,  you should have both a lift and implant.  There are many ways to accomplish this.  It can be accomplished either with an anchor or lollipop scar and with either saline or silicone implants.  You will get many different opinions on the best way to accomplish this as well as varying degrees of experience with this procedure so it makes sense to get several opinions.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Find the right surgeon to decide the right surgery for you?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a BBL Always insist on a board certified plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Saggy breasts


Thank you for your question and helpful photo. You need to see a board certified dermatologist to evaluate the acne and scarring issues. Once that has been taken care of, consider a breast lift without implants. The Horndeski Method breast lift can reshape and reposition your breasts higher on your chest wall and successfully minimize the space between your breasts without implants. Feel free to browse my gallery to find someone with your dimensions and see what can now be done with more current breast lifting technology. I would not recommend implants for you as you are still young and the weight of implants will push your breasts down again. The fact that you have not yet had children is a factor to not choose implants at this time. Pregnancy and breast feeding has a tendency to be unpredictable when breast shape and size is concerned.  Attached is an example of THM without implants or the vertical incision. I hope this helps. 

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 223 reviews

Breast options

Thanks for your inquiry and heartfelt question.  First, I suggest you discuss with a dermatologist about your acne and scarring.  As for your breast shape and size you will need both a lift and augmentation, these procedures may need to be staged.  Please get a few in person consultations and best of luck.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 197 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.