Is it ok to let an Aesthetician perform a coolscupting procedure or the surgeon?

Went to a consultation, but not satisfied because I was seen by an Aesthetician, not surgeon. Was told she would be the one performing the coolscupting procedure. When asked do she think I'm a good candidate, she said yes, but I'm worried about lose skin, will I have it after? and will I need a tummy tuck? therfore is the procedure worth getting! and did she give me right information. I'm 5.4, 36yo, 143p.

Thank you for your question. It depends on the qualifications of the technician. Because you have questions, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best. Regards, 

Prior to any non-invasive procedure, including coolsculpting, you should be examined by the physician under whose license the treatment is being performed and to whom the machine was initially sold.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting should be done under the supervision of a Board Certified Physician with a focus on Aesthetic Medicine

In our practice we have three individuals who deliver CoolSculpting procedures every day. Our providers are laser certified aestheticians who have each been to CoolSculpting's headquarters in California for their intensive training called CoolSculpting University. We are incredibly pleased with the results that we have been able to deliver to patients in our neighborhood and are confident that CoolSculpting will continue to become more and more popular over the years to come as more and more patients take the plunge and try it.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

S it ok to let an Aesthetician perform a coolscupting procedure or the surgeon?

Honestly it really depends on the training and qualifications of the person performing the coolsculpting. In our office our coolsculpting technician is expertly trained and knows exactly how best to determine a candidiate. That said, I am always nearby and can provide additional support as necessary.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definiton Liposuction

I suggest going to a practice where the physician at least sees you first to determine the best options.  If you have loose skin you are not a candidate for coolsculpting and may need hi definition contouring and/or tummy tuck.  Coolscupting does minimal with skin tightening, and often needs multiple procedures.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Yes, staff in the doctor's office who have been properly trained and have gone through the training can perform the evaluation and coolsculpting procedure.  
If you are concerned about loose skin and possibly needing a tummy tuck surgery, you may want to ask to be seen by the surgeon to address those specific concerns.

Can CoolSculpting be done by an esthetician

The answer is yes.  There needs to be a true esthetic eye for precise placement of the CoolSculpting adaptors.  My entire staff   has expressed interest in learning how to CoolSculpt and all have attended a 2 day training course at CoolSculpting University at the main office in Pleasanton, CA.  The most successful treatments come from proper planning and placement of applicators.  The last thing  you want are what we call 'shark bite' results. Find out from that office who does the most placements and who has the biggest following.  At your age, there should be enough skin elasticity that loose skin should not be a problem.  If some occurs, we have ways to create mild skin tightening at a later date.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon