Swollen Lower Abdomen 13 Months Post-op Tummy Tuck

I had an abdominoplasty 13 months ago and still have my belly inflamed and swollen and my belly button is almost not visible. Is it normal to take this long for the area to go back to normal?

Doctor Answers 6

Persistent swelling after a tummy tuck

Persistent swelling oen year after a  tummy tuck is unusual. You may want to get it evaluated by a plastic surgeon.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Persistent swelling one year after tummy tuck

Dear Saudi,

Long lasting swelling one year after surgery is not a normal occurence.. There may be an underlying problem such as a seroma and that should be investigated further.

I would recommend going back to your surgeon or seeking a second opinion.

Good luck


Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 70 reviews

One year after tummy tuck, what should I expect?

at this point you should be well healed and all of your swelling gone. Your scars should be mature. If you have persistent swelling it may be indicative of a seroma or fluid collection. You should consult your treating physician as a seroma this far out may require further intervention

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Swollen abdomen more than a year after tummy tuck

This is not normal.  You may have had a seroma (fluid collection) that has persisted, or maybe the scar is just adherent. It's hard to tell from your photo. At this point, though, you should be fully healed and enjoying your results. Since that's not your situation, I would recommend that you see your surgeon (or another surgeon).

Carmen Kavali, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Tummy Tuck

 After  all this time if this condition  most  likely needs to be revised,  I suggest ti make and appointment with your doctor.

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 118 reviews

Persistent lower stomach bulge after tummy tuck

This does not appear to be normal and I would advise discussing this with your surgeon or seeking a second opinion. There are several possible reasons for this but, in my opinion,  I would consider revisionary surgery. If not, I would advise agressive scar massage.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.