Asian blepharoplasty; scar still red? (Photo)

I have asian bleph 4 and half months ago, but the scar still red, the redness is better but it's still hypertrophic lumpy and the corner of the eyes. I am afraid of hyperpigmentation and scared the color will remain different even when its healed. Should I be worried? I applied silicon gel, but it makes it more iritated. I have been applying bio oil hoping will make the scar better.

Red scar after Asian blepharoplasty

The redness should continue to improve over the next 6 months.  If hypertrophic/lumpy, kenalog injection could be beneficial.  Scar gel / bio oil can be used as long as they don't irritate your skin.  It is also very important to apply sunscreen and avoid sun exposure to ensure that the eyelid scars do not become hyper-pigmentated.  Good luck!
Goretti H. Taghva MD

Visible scar after 4 months

Typically incisions look very good by this time however redness of the incision can still persist at this stage. This is particularly true of younger patients especially if those younger patients have slightly thicker skin and oily skin.  I would not use any special scar treatment's.  Just give it MoreTime and I'm sure it will do well in the long run.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Scar

Snowberry93,It looks like normal postop healing.  Scars and redness tend to be most pronounced for 6 months before fading.  Sunscreen is important, but silicone gel can cause irritation.  A trial of a low strength steroid cream may be used but its use should be monitored.  Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Higa, MD
Honolulu Oculoplastic Surgeon

Red incisional scar

Hi there. Greetings from the UK! I always tell my patients that it's not uncommon for some residual redness and bumpiness to remain for 6 months or so. The scar is still mouldable for the first 12 months following surgery but it's most mouldable for the first 3-6 months. I'm personally not a fan of Bio Oil and typically recommend Kelocote or Dermatix silicone gel applied three times a day with aggressive massage for the lumpier areas. So at 4 1/2 months it's still within normal range. Your photo isn't particularly great but I don't think it looks particularly hypertrophic to necessitate steroid cream/ injection. Best wishes. David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon