Symmastia? I had a BA August 2015. The skin is still really tight across my sternum. Any input? (photos)

Symmastia following breast augment

It does not appear that you have symmastia. Symmastia occurs when the implants actually touch each other and communicate from one pocket to the other. Your breast implants look great with nothing to worry about.

Symmastia after breast augmentation

Based on your photos, it does not appear that you have symmastia. Your cleavage is very narrow but it does appear that the tissues between your breasts still remain adherent to your breast bone though it is impossible to definitively determine this without actually examining your breasts. If you feel that there is a communication between your breasts, then this would be indicative of symmastia. I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon for further evaluation if you have concerns. We are always happy to see our patients again and certainly want to make sure they have the best possible long-term result.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia? I had a BA August 2015. The skin is still really tight across my sternum. Any input?

Thank you for your question. From pictures point of view I do not think you have symmastia. You can talk to your PS and ask for evaluation and opinion. 

Symmastia can be treated

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is hard to tell if you really have symmastia. On the photos you certainly have very narrow cleavage. In either case, it is possible to separate the implants to widen the cleavage by closing the medial capsule and opening the lateral capsule. Obviously, this requires surgery with all of the inherent risks; but it is possible to correct it if you are unhappy. I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon first. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Synmastia

It does not appear to be Synmastia based on your photos. By this point in time tightness from surgery should have resolved. Ask your surgeon to evaluate you. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Symmastia?

Based on your pictures, it does not appear that you have symmastia.  Your breast implants are close together, but it does not appear that they are able to touch or communicate underneath the skin.  It appears you have close medial cleavage, but nothing more than that.  I hope this helps.

Synmastia?

You appear to have very close cleavage but not synmastia. I recommend that you be examined by your Plastic Surgeon in person if you have ongoing concerns.

All the best

Symnastia

Based on your photos you gave s narrow gap between your breasts but not true symmastia. The distance between the breasts is determined by where they naturally end so it doesn't appear that you have true Symnastia 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - do I have symmastia

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Symmastia means your implants actually touch in the middle of the chest-
  • Your upright photo shows they are separated so you do not have symmastia.
  • Your implants appear large for your chest - so they will stretch the skin and it will feel tight.
  • If you are noticing the gap between the implants getting smaller and the skin progressively tighter, you may be developing symmastia 
  • If this is happening, it is best to see your plastic surgeon and especially to compare your situation now compared to how things looked earlier.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

No Problems here

Judging by the picture, your implants are slightly more to the middle than they should be.  We try to center the implant directly under the nipple.  But I'm just nit-picking here. Overall you have a very nice result, and no problems such as symmastia.

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon