If I'm a little swollen/puffy above pubic area a month after tummy tuck, is that a normal part of the healing process? (Photo)

I've been healing pretty good, but lately a month out I've had an inch to inch 1/2 get puffy red right on the incision line above my pubic area. I wear my garment everyday and I put bacitracin ointment on any areas that are taking more time to heal and use gauze and surgery tape in those areas. I had two spots two weeks out that needed to have stitches removed so I could heal better in those spots. I just want to know if this is pretty normal?

Post-tummy tuck swelling

Thank you for the question and the photo! It is not uncommon to have some swelling or puffiness after a tummy tuck. Considering that you had your procedure one month ago, I don't believe you have any particular reasons for concern. It may take up to 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and 4-6 months for the swelling to subside.   As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

The slowest area to go down is the area just above the incision site.  Its the most dependent area.  You may notice that the swelling is down when you first get up in the morning then gets a little bigger throughout the day despite a compression garment.  It may take months for this area to finally flatten and become soft.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Swelling above the pubic region abdominoplasty incision one month after surgery

Swelling in the area above the pubic region or in the pubic region itself is common one month after an abdominoplasty. This occurs as this area is the most dependent part of the post-surgical area when a patient is sitting or standing, and the naturally occurring fluid will accumulate above the incision line in this region. (Severe swelling in this area that occurs shortly after drains are removed can be a sign of a seroma fluid accumulation that will have to be aspirated.)The good news is that this will resolve over time without any treatment as your body establishes new channels to reabsorb this fluid.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after abdominoplasty

From your photographs, it seems like you have normal healing. Swelling will often collect in this area and persist longer than other sites. There is some extra redness in this area which may be from pressure, but it may also represent cellulitis, which would need to be evaluated.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

If I'm a little swollen/puffy above pubic area a month after tummy tuck, is that a normal part of the healing process?

Thank you for sharing your questions and photograph and congratulations on your surgery.  Some continued swelling along your incision line is common at a month after surgery as gravity will have a tendency of retaining extra water around the skin recently operated on.  Of greater concern is the redness demonstrated along your incision line and skin.  Though it appears to be more consistent with a contact irritation, likely due to the bacitracin ointment and surgery tape adhesive, I would recommend reaching out to your doctor to make sure it is not an infection.  Hope that this helps.