The stitches split- what input do you have by looking at my picture? (photos)

Had wedge labiaplasty exactly 15 days ago. I learned the right labia had to be redone during the procedure. Today I had the stitches removed, and learned that the stitches split. My dr said I would have to wait to see if it heals itself, and suggested that it may, but said if nec we can go back and recontour. I am worried the right side will not even out to the left & I will be left with a weird divot in my labia.

Labiaplasty

You will most likely need a revision but you shouldn't do anything until at least 4-6 months post op.  When choosing your surgeon be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedure.  Ask the surgeon plenty of questions, look for photos of labiaplasty revisions and make sure he/she has extensive experience in these types of repairs. 

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for swelling as well. Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Labiaplasty

The labia will go on to heal on its own and if at that point it is notched it can be revised. At this point it is far too early to consider more surgery. Be patient and follow your doctors instructions.

Getting a little tired of seeing wedge labiaplasties endlessly falling apart on the internet

I'll say this yet again: wedge labiaplasties have the weakest scars of all techniques known to mankind. If the wedge is too wide or the tension is too great, they are guaranteed to fall apart. The original wedge was developed by Marc Laufer and William Galvin, pediatric gynecologists at Children's Hospital in Boston over 20 years ago, and was never intended to be used for wide resections under high tension. It was designed for speed and simplicity, but only in properly selected cases. It appears that you had too much tension on your sutures. Nothing looks worse than a broken wedge labiaplasty, but it can't be fixed for at least six months.

Split labiaplasty wound

Thank you for your question and photos.  I would recommend waiting several months for the wounds to heal and recover from surgery.  The tissues of the labia are delicate and with the swelling of surgery are prone to splitting or tearing.  If one were to attempt revision too soon one would risk repeating this type of complication.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty and has extensive experience in this procedure.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Incision has come apart after labiaplasty.

Unfortunately, surgical problems can happen in any surgery.  In this case, resuturing the incision at this time would not be advisable.  Waiting for several months to allow the tissue to return to normal and then revising this area is the prudent way to proceed.  This should not affect your long term outcome after the revision but will likely have a notch until then.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty complication

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your present disruption may be due to swelling or the specifics of the wedge technique used by your surgeon.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity.  However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about four years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I should be able to fix your disruption by re-doing your labiaplasty as I have repaired many of these types of complications from other surgeons. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

The stitches split- what input do you have by looking at my picture?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your incisional issues. Unfortunately you will need to have a lot of patience over the next several months in order to allow your results to heal and mature from surgery before entertaining any revision procedure.  You will be left with a notch in your labia, but any current attempts at correction will only fail due to the swelling present in your tissues.  Ask your surgeon about what local wound care to follow until an attempt at correction can be entertained 3-6 months from the surgery.  Best wishes.