What is my next step for a breast reduction surgery?

I am 17 years old, I weigh about 112 pounds, about 5'1" tall. And I have been stuggling with bad back pain and tense muscles in my neck area causing me to have headaches almost everyday. My breast size is 34DD, maybe bigger I don't really remember. I have done my research and found a highly reviewed surgeon. My mom and I have called over three times and we never get as far as to talk to the actual surgeon. And It seems that no one really cares. They keep telling me that I might be too young.

The surgeon you have found just may not have enough experience with teenage breast reductions and may not feel comfortable.  In our practice it is a quite common problem.  It is clearly understood how much of a problem this issue can be for someone in your age, height, and weight category.  As a matter of fact over the past 6 months we have had 3 patients in your situation who underwent surgery.  One thing you have to be aware of is that you may have secondary breast hypertrophy in the future, especially after having kids, in which case you may need a second breast reduction.  In case you end up having surgery just make sure you get a copy of the operative report and keep it in a safe place.  Because if you do need a second breast reduction in the future it will be critical for your surgeon to know exactly what technique was used for your original surgery and your original surgeon may not be around and your records may not be available.  Best of luck.

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and (possible) psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy.
In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure. I am glad that you have the support of your mom as you do your homework.
It will be important that you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to juvenile breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction in young girl, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

After having analyzed all the information sent to us, i can realize that you have a too large and heavy breasts for your weight and height, this produces discomfort and cronic pain in the neck, back and shoulder, and some skin problems under the breasts. Therefore, in the future may cause osteo-articular permanent damage in these areas.

For these reasons we should consider performing a breast reduction surgery on you.

As part of the preoperative preparation i recommend an endocrine and mastologist evaluation, who should do the studies (Ex .: mammary sonography) and relevant blood tests, to ensure that the excessive growth of your breasts is normal, and is not associated with any hormonal disorder or other cause.

Finally I remind you that you're a teenager, and, for any type of procedure we need a consent of your parents or responsables.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Next step for getting a breast reduction

Thank you for your question and it sounds like you have problems from your heavy breasts.  It is important that you understand why some surgeons would be reluctant now to do your surgery.  Doing your surgery now is not the concern but what will happen later.  You most likely have not reached your full adult size and shape.  It is not uncommon to continue to get larger either from increased growth of breast tissue or weight gain.  This usually occurs in the early twenties.  So by doing surgery now you may still grow. It is also important to know that a breast reduction can alter your ability to nurse. This something you need to think about and discuss with your surgeon.  If the above comments are of no concern for you, then the surgery can be performed so long as you are mature enough to understand what surgery will mean to you and the recovery.  This kind of surgery is very good at reducing neck, back and shoulder pain and allow you to enjoy life more that you have before.  I would seek out several consultations and listen carefully to what they recommend.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

If you are interested in a breast reduction, then you should go for a consultation with your parents' permission.  Good luck. If a doctor's office does not seem helpful, then search for another one.

Apparently that surgeon does not want to d the surgery. There are a great many other excellent surgeons that will be willing to help you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pediatrician

Get a clearance from your pediatrician and seek a breast reduction specialist for your necessary functional surgery

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Teen Age Macromastia

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you have true gigantomastia with those size breasts on a small frame. Most girls breast are sufficiently mature at 17 that reduction mammoplasty can be done. Look on the ASPS website for other plastic surgeons that have experience with your problem. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS