What causes a poke through of product injected in lips?

When having jvederm injected into my lips a jelly likes substance dropped onto my lower lip twice and was wiped off. On the second time I asked what that was and the told that somethings the jell pokes through. Is this normal and should I be concerned?

Lip filler

The filler can sometimes squirt out of the syringe a bit before or after injection into whatever spot was treated. That is probably what you felt.

Juvederm and lips

Thank you for your question. It sounds like filler dropped on your lip while you were getting injecting which isn't a problem. However if filler leaked out of your lip while you were getting injected that may mean that the filler was injected too superficially and therefor poked inappropriately through the lip. As long as you like the look and feel of your lips- no worries!
best of luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD

No you shouldn't worry

Hi
That is totally common.  Everytime the needle passes through the skin it makes a hold.  As the pressure builds up in the lip with filler, it may try to find a way out, and sometimes those little poke holes allow a small drop to escape.  Those holes close up quickly, and I have never had someone complain that after they left the office filler was still coming out.  But during the injection this can be a common occurrence.

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

@its.jnj.com>

Filler leakage

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

It is not uncommon for a small amount of filler to be expelled onto the lips during the procedure. I would not worry about this.

Hope this helps. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

What's the jelly I feel?

Thank you for sharing your question. There could be many causes of feeling the jelly, but not likely to be of any consequence. If the results look good, you do not need to be concerned. Good luck.

Filler dropped on lip

It appears that some of the filler drip on the lip. It doesn't come out of the place it was injected. It is a precious commodity so losing some is a shame. No concerns though.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm and Lips

It sounds like a bit of the product dropped on your lips and should not really be a big concern for you.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for sharing your question and experience.  Most likely what took place is that the injector placed the needle through the entire thickness of your lip resulting in some of the filler being dropped onto your lower lip.  Though there is no need to be concerned, careful administration of the filler and noting the position of the needle prior to injecting can avoid this.  Hope this help