How do plastic surgeons honestly feel about out of state patients?

I live in Indianapolis but have a plastic surgeon in Atlanta that I'm interested in seeing for facial fat transfer. Do plastic surgeons feel comfortable working with out of state patients? I want just a simple fat transfer under local anesthesia.

Fat transfer out of state

Hello! Most plastic surgeons have no problems treating patients out of state. However, you should consider how you will approach any issues you may have post-operatively and follow-up care. While being a surgeon to an out-of-state patient is simple, sometimes having an out-of-state surgeon is not ideal. Good luck!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

As Plastic surgeons, as we become more well-known we commonly get out of state and foreign patients coming to us.
The most important things to consider are not only the price of the operation/procedure and the surgeon's reputation but the other costs of having surgery out of your immediate area such as the cost of lodging and travel for the operation, staying there after the surgery and visiting the surgeon.  Please understand, that it may not be easy for you to get a local surgeon to take over your care after you engaged in medical tourism, especially if there is a complication.
With all this being understood and accepted, you should go wherever your heart tells you to go.

Peter Aldea  MD
Memphis, TN

Plastic Surgeons View of Out of State Patients

I have practiced in Atlanta for nearly 20 years, and now about 30% of my patients come from out of state!  We handle the majority of the consultation via email and Face Time, without any difficulty. Using today's technology, the process of consultation is quite simple.

When it comes to post-operative follow ups, depending on the procedure, I will give the patient advice on how long she/ he should remain in Atlanta for proper immediate post-operative care.  Obviously, that will vary, depending on the type and extent of the procedure.  Make sure you feel comfortable that the doctor and the staff can handle your out of state status, i.e. have great follow up procedures and protocols, especially in the event of questions or complications after surgery.

Windell Davis-Boutte, MD

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Following up with surgeon out of state

Most plastic surgeons don't have a problem seeing post op patients from another surgeon. I can understand how some doctors may not want to get involved, but I have no issues with following up a patient post op who is not mine. 

Out of State Patients and VASER HI DEF with FAT TRANSFER

50% of my patients are from out of state and the country.  We cater to that.  There is no reason why you cannot go to a surgeon elsewhere, they should be prepared to offer you concierge care.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Out of State Patients

With the convenience of transportation today and the global sophisticated techniques for communication available to us the world has become very small. Experienced surgeons frequently treat patients from other states and countries. If I were you I would not be concerned.

Out of state patients

While I treat many out of state patients, I think that patients are better off being treated locally where they live so that if there are problems they can see their original surgeon easily.

Out of state patients.

It depends on the procedure. For very routine procedures, complication rates are low and the need for the patient to follow up with the physican is minimal. Personally, however, I prefer if patients are reasonably close. I see my patients at least twice before the day of surgery to review the surgery, risks and to answer questions. I also typically see my patient within the first week following surgery, at week 2, week 6, 3 months 6 months and at a year. Of course more often if the patient has any concerns. At each of these time points, there are different things to evauluate: pain control; infection/wound healing; swelling; scarring; final results.
If your surgeon finds it important to see you often, it may mean more long distance trips for you.
On the other side of the coin, don't compromise on a surgeon solely based on a convenient location.
Good luck,
Ian Lytle, MD 

Ian Lytle, MD
Dearborn Plastic Surgeon

Out of state patients

I think most surgeons are happy to see in consultation and do surgery on out of state patients.  The main concern is that you are willing to stay in the area post-op so that we know  you are healing well.  There is also an issue for you the patient in that if anything needs to be revised in the future or if you want to see your doctor you will have to travel again.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon