Is it normal to have this much bruising and swelling after Juvederm? (Photos)

I had Juvederm injections this morning around 11am, it is now 8pm so it hasn't even been 12 hours yet I have never had any injections before so I am extremely nervous that something went wrong. I've seen many videos and testimonials and most of the patients did not bruise or swell this badly. Could it be that something went wrong? Is this much bruising and swelling normal? Also, there is a space on my top lip with no swelling. Does that mean there is no Juvederm there and there should be? Thanks

Lip injections

The lip is an extremely sensitive and vascular area of the face.  It is normal to experience bruising and swelling of this area following injections.  Your photos suggest that the bruising and swelling you are experiencing is normal.  It could take as long as two weeks for your symptoms to resolve.  Sometimes ice can help, but if you are still concerned, I would call your doctors office to discuss your condition.

Knowing What's Normal with Lip Augmentation with Fillers (juvederm, restylane)

Yes, this looks like typical swelling and bruising after lip augmentation and can take 1-2 weeks to resolve. Asymmetries can be normal too and will resolve. If you're unhappy with your final results, you can have it reversed with hyaluronidase and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip Augmentation and bruising

Lip Augmentation is a procedure to improve the symmetry, volume, or shape of your lips. Currently, hyaluronic acid facial fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero are commonly used. 

The lip area is more reactive than the rest of the face. Also, filler may be injected at a more superficial layer. This makes bruising and swelling more common. Avoiding aspirin and ibuprofen 2 weeks before the procedure decreases the risk of bruising. Once you have bruising, it takes time to settle down. Any concerns should be brought to your doctor's attention, so they may evaluate you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to have this much bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Post lip injection bruising and swelling are extremely common and can take up to two weeks to completely resolve. Ice should help speed things along. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

After Juvederm, I'm bruised and swollen

This is fairly extreme but will not affect your outcome and it is not a vascular occlusion. If it were my practice, I would treat with lasers to decrease the bruising, the Excel V laser. The swelling and bruising without treatment can take up to 14 days to get better. Typically, the more experienced injector has less bruising and swelling. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling and bruising after lip augmentation

Swelling and some bruising are normal reactions following filler lip augmentation.  You do have an extreme amount of both going on, but this won't likely compromise your result.  It can take 2 weeks or so before most of that swelling/ bruising has subsided. In the meantime, you can help things with cool compresses to the lips, arnica/ bromelein tabs/ ointment, and sleeping with your head elevated.  I wouldn't worry too much about trying to correlate bruising and filler presence.  Since this was your first injection, be aware of medications, supplements, and other activities (e.g. Aspirin, Vitamin E, Drinking alcohol) that may increase your chance of bruising more during this procedure in the future (see link for a more comprehensive list).  Additionally, see if your physician can use a cannula for at least part of the injection process to minimize blood vessel shearing.  Send pictures to your injecting physician or go in for a visit to ensure that waiting it out is the best course of action. If your injector is a board certified core physician (facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, dermatologist), then he/ she is likely experienced in seeing many different outcomes and can determine if you fall into the normal range or if another measure might need to be taken. Check out my video for more tips on lip injections. Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to have this much bruising and swelling after JVD?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though your swelling is not abnormal after JVD placement, you do have a bit more bruising than would be anticipated.  There does not appear to be any serious areas of concern but I would recommend ice compresses to your lips, and sleeping with your head elevated with a few extra pillows behind your back, to aid swelling. You may also wish to consider use of arnica montana and bromelain to further speed healing.  Hope this helps.

Is it normal to have this much bruising and swelling after Juvederm?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling and bruising are common and can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon