What all can sub malar implants fix?

I went for a consult initially for facial fat transfer but my plastic surgeon suggested sub malar implants instead? My areas of concern were the slight parentheses around my mouth and "flatness" (1 dimensional) under my eyes and of my cheek apples. I have pretty high cheek bones already but not a full voluminous face which is what I want. My lower face is too gaunt in my opinion. Will sub malar implants address this?

What all can sub malar implants fix?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers or facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants) for a permanent enhancement.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I prefer malar implants over sub malar implants.  Sub malar implants are not designed to create feminine shaped cheek bones as they do not cover the malar bone itself but go into the potential tissue space below the cheek. Despite it's recent surge in popularity, fat injections are far less reliable at creating consistent shape and volume than an "off the shelf" dermal filler or cheek implants.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.
Hope this helps.

Chin/Cheek Augmentation, Facial Sculpting -- Fillers such as Sculptra, Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane/Fat/Implant

Submalar implants can create higher cheekbone and give a little more lift, but won't add volume to your face. You may need fat grafting and fillers, like Sculptra. Please discuss with your dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Submalar Augmentation

Fat transfer and submalar implants are two methods that can be used to address the areas of facial volume deficiency for which you have concerns. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. A submalar implant will address the apple cheek deficiency but will not improve the areas under the eyes and the parentheses around your mouth. Fat injections are more versatile and can be placed in all of these areas but their survival is always unpredictable.

Cheek implant candidate

In our practice, we use  Implantech malar  and sub- malar silastic  cheek implants.  We have used these implants for over 25 years with an excellence success rate.  The size and the shape of the implants is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the cheeks and the implants are three-dimensional structures. Sub-malar cheek implants are usually placed lower when patients have more of a gaunt look. For many examples of cheek implants, please see the link and the video below

Wants a full voluminous face

In my experience you sound as if you would be an excellent candidate for fat transfer. Fat transfer allows the most precise and sculptural volume enhancement. Fat transfer lasts years and decades. make certain you chose a surgeon experienced with the technique.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon