Labiaplasty and it looks like I have no labia's, why does it look like this, like it was stitched together? (photos)

I had labiaplast 6 weeks ago, the doctor said the stitches were dissolved. When I got home I decided to finally look and it looks like I have no labias?

YOU WERE MUTILATED; this is "Avoidable Unintentional Female Genital Mutilation"

Dear Friend,  Your doctor mutilated you by performing a full "labial amputation," NOT a cosmetic labiaplasty, and then violated every plastic surgery principal in the books by doing a "whip stitch" closure" with large caliber slow-dissolving sutures. If you went in with cancer and needed a full labial amputation, that is what you got. If you went in asking for a cosmetic labiaplasty, unfortunately what you got was an "Avoidable Unitentional Female Genital Mutilation." This is a tragedy, as there is no way to "fix" this other than "airbrushing" with RF energy which would smooth out the deep and permanent grooves, but still leave it amputated and it is a brutal recovery.

You were mutilated. THIS IS MALPRACTICE, unless you went in asking for "amputation." Your doctor is liable, the hospital who gave him or her privileges is liable, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists ("ACOG"), the organization that represents Ob-Gyns and has opposed the training of Gyns in the fineries of cosmetic gynecology is liable (if your doc was an Ob-Gyn, which I'll bet (s)he was.) Yours is a "Standard of Care" issue, and your surgery unfortunately fell far below recognized "Atandard of Care" for aesthetic labiaplasty," is indeed that was what you asked for.

WHAT TO DO?  YOU WERE MUTILATED, and in my opinion (and I am the person who edited the only textbook presently available on Female Genital Plastic and Cosmetic surgery, plus many articles in the medical literature) You Should: 1. Immediately go to your doctor's office and nicely ask for a copy of your full medical records; do not suggest you may be suing, as the doc may falsely "change" your medical records if (s)he knows you're suing-- ask the desk clerk nicely "...just for a copy..." Say you're moving away and just wish your records... 2. Go tho the hospital or surgical center where your botched labiaplasty took place and nicely ask for a copy of your full medical records; 3. Do your research and go to the largest and best "Med Mal" (medical malpractice) plaintiff's law firm in the city or the state and tell them you wish to file suit against the doctor, hospital and possibly even ACOG. I personally will be happy to review your case for you free of charge, and will work along with your attorney as per my agreement with them. It is only when these idiot  bogus "wannabe" mutilators are brought to justice that perhaps horribly botched labiaplasties such as yours will stop.

Lesson to learn: this is what happens when you go to a totally inexperienced surgeon, and most of these unconscionable people are "your local friendly Ob-Gyns," who are are otherwise fine for general stuff like delivering babies & treating yeast infections but in the area of genital enhancements are TOO STUPID TO KNOW WHAT THEY DO NOT KNOW... Please read the attached weblink for more info. The only thing you can do is be monetarily compensated for your mutilation, and then, with money in your pocket, go about the local hormonal therapy to slowly soothe the damaged nerve endings, and psychological counselling so that you can again know that, despite this appearance, you are still a healthy and lovely and sexually responsive woman, despite the outward appearance. YOU SHOULD BE COMPENSATED!

With best wishes; contact our office if you wish,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Healing Period After Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful. Hopefully you are still healing.

There are also plenty of other risks with any surgical procedure and if you find yourself unhappy with the results of your procedure it would be best to visit your surgeon to discuss your issues. Good luck!

Labiaplasty and it looks like I have no labia's, why does it look like this, like it was stitched together?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Your surgeon erroneously removed both of your labia minora completely and closed the incisions with a large caliber suture to heal.  This has compounded the lack of tissue with a scalloped and irregular incision appearance.  Unfortunately it appears that you do not have any clitoral hood tissue for a reconstructive option so it may be best to allow your results time to mature over 6 months and then assess your results.  Best wishes. 

Unfortunately, this is definitely not a desired result.  I don't know the particulars of your situation but I can bet you didn't choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedure.  More than likely you chose this person based on price.  This is a huge mistake.  I am very sorry that you are in this situation. 

John G. Hunter, MD

You are beyond botched. Makes me sick.

Your labia have been crudely and completely avulsed. This is not the product of competent work. There is no procedure in the realm of cosmetic gynecology that would seek this as an intended result. You might be able to achieve a degree of textural softening of the train tracks striations with laser resurfacing in a few months, but the anatomic disfigurement you have sustained is severe and correction albeit partial will test the limits of what is currently possible.

You're correct - your labia were removed

Sorry about your results if you did not request this type of look. The labia were completely removed and then a running suture was used to approximate the edges. These sutures were allowed to slowly dissolve and it left you with grooves/tracks along the incision line. You have no option other than to live with no labia.

I hope the many women that see your photos will benefit from your experience and better realize how important it is for them to look for a surgeon who is experienced in cosmetic vaginal surgery. This is the reason why its important to do your research and to travel, if you need to, to have the very best do this type of work.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MDAguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Why do I look like this after a labiaplasty?

It looks like you had an aggressive amputative labiaplasty.  Its unclear exactly what was done as I don't see the before photos.  The body heals over a couple of months with this procedure so things will continue to change and hopefully improve.  I would recommend you get a prescription of estrogen cream and rub this daily on this area to help it heal and help the tissue regenerate.  Estrace is a good one.  It comes with an applicator but all you really need to do is rub a small amount on your labia once or twice a day and throw the applicator away.  If you are still tender then I would not be sexually active.  I would wait a while before you considered doing anything else - at least six months or a year or two.  Cosmetic surgeons are quick to point out the idea of "botched" labiaplasties but sometimes when you keep trying to fix something you make things worse and you wind up feeling bad about yourself instead of getting on with your life.    

"Radical" Surgery

It appears you don't have much Labia minora left unless there is still swelling left to resolve. At 6 weeks this has usually resolved. Did you go to a well-regarded/ qualified labiaplasty surgeon?

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and it looks like I have no labia's

Thank you for your  question.

It does appear that you had a complete amputation of your labia minora via a trim method labiaplasty.

Did you go over the exact look you were desiring with your surgeon?

No labia 6 weeks post op

Thanks for sharing.  The reason why it looks like this is four reasons:  1) your surgeon removed all the labia minora i.e. a complete amputation  2) he whipped stitched the closure i.e. closed it with a dissolvable suture but like a baseball stitch fashion ( i.e. look at the stitching in a baseball) 3) he performed a linear resection ( but this is not the reason why he removed all the labia versus a wedge resection and 4) most likely your surgeon has minimal experience in performing cosmetic vaginal surgery.  

Using a linear resection to performa  labiaplasty is only as good as the surgeon performing  the surgery.  I have performed linear resection surgery on more than 1000 patients but have never been told that I completely amputated the labia.  A linear resection surgery takes experience, expertise, and an artistic eye.  The same can be said for the most commonly utilized other procedure called a wedge resection.  These are not right or wrong techniques...... there are only surgeons who get superior or inferior results using one or the other technique.   

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai