I'm a 55 year old female. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 80 pounds. Is having a Tummy Tuck possible?

I'm a 55 year old female. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2008 and lost 80 pounds. I have so much excess skin I can hide my fingers under the stomach skin. I am 5ft 5 in tall. I weight 220 pounds. I'm looking to get rid of the excess skin.

Anything is possible

but you must be maintaining your weight with your normal daily routines before undergoing contouring procedures.  Best to do it in stages and use the next procedure to revise anything that isn't satisfactory from the first procedure since you will be in the operating room under anesthesia.

Gastric bypass weight loss

Congratulations my weight-loss. Tummy tuck is possible. You must get your body mass index down around 30. Once is at this point in evaluation by a board-certified plastic surgeon is warranted for a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuckafter gastric bypass

After excessive weight loss, the strched out skin slightly shrinh back. However due to loosing accumulated fat, the overlying skin collapes and become redubdant. The only way to get rid of this hanging skin is tummy tuck operation/ belt lif surgery.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring

Body contouring surgery following massive weight loss can help you restore you body shape.  You may be a candidate for either an abdominoplasty or a lower body lift.  Consult a plastic surgeon for more specifics.  

I think that a tummy tuck can certainly be considered.

Los Angeles, CA..............

Your age is not an obstacle to reconstruct   your abdomen with a Tummy Tuck or a Belt Lipectomy . However, it seems to me that you have not reached your ideal weight.I recommend consulting your Bariatric Surgeon to pursue a greater weight loss. Loosing more weight will improve not only your general health for the procedure but your results. As soon as you lose the desire

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy Tuck After Gastric Bypass

Whether you need a tummy tuck or a complete circumferential body lift would depend on a physical examination. While these should ideally be done at a lower body weight, having a stable weight over the past eight years suggests that this may the lowest weight you can achieve. In that case, you certainly can have a procedure that would get rid of the stomach overhang.

You deserve a lot of credit for having lost 80 pounds but I would suggest that you lose another 30-40 pounds to get the best result from a Tummy tuck and have it done as safely as possible. You have come a long way and you shouldn't short change yourself by not losing more weight and, thereby, going fro an optimal result. After more weight loss you need to consult with a Board Certified PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

TT

Congratulations on your weight loss but you still have a ways to go as your BMI is 36 and ideally should be lower before surgery/ also weight loss after surgery may adversely affect your result so try to lose more weight. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Yes the skin can be removed either as an extended tummy tuck or a full circumferential body lift    These can be discussed with a Plastic surgeon.   Best to you