I was bitten on the face by a dog when I was 10. The scar I have on my chin has caused scar tissue to form underneath. (photo)

The scar tissues caused my smile and my face to look uneven. I received stitches on the left side of my chin and my neck. I am okay with the scar itself but am open to revision but am concerned on how my skin reacts to trauma ( I scar easily) but am animate about removing or shrinking the scar tissue that has formed underneath. What are my options if there are any.What could be some options and cost for minimizing the scar tissue. Not sure if it matter but I am 22 now.

See an Expert for Scars

Scars require a combination approach. Lasers, surgery, microneedling/prp, and tattooing can all be used to improve the appearance of scars. I recommend seeing an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Plato's Scar Serum and IIT for scars

I would start with a combination of IIT and application of Plato's Scar Serum to help reduce the scar tissue. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Embrace it!

Hello there! I would suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a scar revision. I know that you have concerns with the incision healing poorly, and I would highly suggest using the Embrace scar therapy system. Studies show that optimal result for scars occur when silicone is introduced to the incision site, a release of tension on the incision, and an occlusive dressing. Embrace incorporates all three, allowing you to embrace your new scar! I wish you luck! 

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Scar after dog bite

great question. There may be some options for the scarring underneath with some intraoral approaches but it is important to remember that scarring can always get worse after any intervention. A good consultation with an experienced physician who does a lot of dog bite and scarring work is important for your treatment. 

Taha Shipchandler, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon