Is a full Tummy Tuck a common recommendation for someone with my body type and history? (Photos)

I received a consult today with a board certified plastic surgery with great reputation in my state. I was told that a full tummy tuck would be the best option and would be the only way to give me the results I am desiring. I am 30, no children, 6 feet tall, weight 170, bmi of 23. The physician said that due to my current pouch, I would have loose skin even with laser lipo. The scar, the recovery and the extra cost are leading me to question this recommendation given what I've read online.

Candidate for liposuction

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for liposuction. This will flatten the abdomen and sculpt the waist and the thighs.  Your skin looks tight and should respond well.  

Is a full Tummy Tuck a common recommendation for someone with my body type and history?

Most young women who have not been pregnant do not need a tummy tuck. However, if you have a "pouch", liposuction will not fix it. Laser liposuction is over-rated for skin tightening. Without an in-person evaluation, it is hard to be more specific, but if you have lipo alone (doesn't matter what type of lipo), you may be disappointed with the loose skin. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

The key here is what are your expectations. If you want maximal tightening then a tummy tuck is the answer. If you want to flatten down your tummy liposuction will work but liposuction is not going to maximally tighten your skin. Get a second opinion and that will help you make a decision.

Your goals

A full tummy tuck is most effective In tightening your muscles while removing excess skin. Liposuction is also needed to contour your waist via fat removal. Lipo only would leave you with an unsatisfactory appearance. If in doubt, please get a second opinion in person from a BCPS. 

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck to Treat Abdomen in 30-year-old

In general, it is hard to make recommendations in support of or against a specific plan with online photos only. It looks like liposuction would be beneficial for you. You don't have hanging skin currently, but there is always a risk that deflating an area (i.e. with liposuction) would create a significant degree of skin laxity. If your exam suggests that you do actually already have significant skin laxity, then some form of a skin excision may be beneficial (whether it is a fully tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck, et cetera). Best of luck!

Ashley B. Robey, MD

If you have not had children yet, you probably do not need  a tummy tuck unless you had a large weight loss and have loose skin and a large weak abdominal wall.  Best to be evaluated in person.

Liposuction candidate

Smartlipo should definitely address the problem. See a board certified plastic with an expertise in body contouring in your area for a detailed consultation. They should be able to answer your concerns more specifically. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!  Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area #realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

Thank you for your question. From your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.  With the skin contracture comment of the Vaser, you may not need a Tummy Tuck. Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction.

Hello and thank you for using an in-person exam is the best way to recommend, it seems your photos show loose skin, lax muscles and some excess fat of the flanks.A complete tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks will give you a flatter and more defined tummy.  The scar can be hidden in the bikini line and fades very well over several years.  Liposuction alone will improve both areas but you do have a risk of some loose skin.  I think you should seek other opinions from experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons.Good luck to you.Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring

It would be helpful to see your waist better.  The hip/flank area could be could have fat removed and then used to reshape the buttock and thigh areas.  I don't know that I would add a tummy tuck scar for you given that you don' have hanging tissue.