Why is my face lift so uneven? (photos)

These photos were taken 14 months after my face/neck/lipo surgery. I am still very uneven under my chin with lumpiness and vertical lines. My jawline is not defined and smooth as I had hoped for plus not the same on each side. I still have the jowls I thought these procedures would get rid of. Surely I should have healed all the way by now. What can I do? Is a re-tuck a possibility?

Facelift Results 14 Months After Surgery

There are many factors that determine the result after facelift surgery. The most important ones are your particular anatomy and the technique used. Therefore, one facelift does not equal another.
In your situation, there is certainly additional room for improvement and you may consider a secondary lift. Longevity afterwards should be many years.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift results

Before and after pictures are needed in order to have a better picture of the problem. Also if you have had any weight gain or loss during the surgery and now. What surgical technique was used. In my opinion; go to your surgeon and express your concerns. If you are not satisfied, then look for a second opinion. Hope this helps.

Dr. Gustavo A. Diaz
Double Board Certified facial Plastic Surgeon

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Results

Most patients judge their facelift results by how smooth their jawline and neck angle is afterwards. While a facelift is performed on both sides of the face how much tissue is removed can be slightly different on both sides and the skin may also relax differently as well. Therefore I would not view facelift results like yours as unsuccessful or an error in surgical technique. It is not a rare outcome. The good news is that a secondary tuck-up can be very successfully performed to even out the two sides.

Why is my face lift so uneven?

It is difficult to determine unevenness from the distance of the photos, but you definitely still have some laxity. Without prior photos-preop and early postop, no judgements can be made as to whether you should look better than you do. Your jowling is either from not tightening the SMAS or from a lax submandibular salivary gland-it is difficult to tell from the photos.
A revision face/necklift would improve your results.

Facelift : Unhappy - Choices?

I believe you have waited long enough. There is no added benefit to waiting longer. At this point, you have a few choices. I'm sure the operation helped you to some degree, but it hasn't made enough rejuvenation or benefit.

Before any surgery is done, I would review the operative report to see exactly what was done. Did the doctor tighten the SMAS or the platysma? Was fat transferred? Was liposuction done?
These are important things to be reviewed.

You have two main options from this point. The first is a small "touch-up" or revision to try and tweak things to the point you are happy. The second is a secondary face and neck lift.

The first option might include some neck liposuction on areas of fat that were missed in the neck area and below the jaw line. Fat transfer can then be done to highlight the cheeks and improve folds and the malar area. Finally facial resurfacing with a peel or laser can tighten the skin at the same time. This would be relatively easy compared to a complete re-do. It can't really hurt and might give you the boost in results we want. This option requires no suturing at all.

The second option is a secondary face and neck lift. This is a re-do or complete revision. Fat transfer and "muscle" tightening would be possible. This is longer and more expensive but has the best chance of doing the trick. That would probably be my best choice, unless time and money and frustration are pushing you towards doing something more easy.

You need a second and maybe third opinion. Discuss options thoroughly.

Realistic expectations after cosmetic surgery is important to understand. I feel you can gain a lot if you desire to proceed.

I hope this helps!

Dr Chris Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Why is my face lift so uneven?

It is hard to judge or assess without seeing any pre-op photos. The changes / improvement may have been very significant.

Stephen M. Davis MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Revision facelift

Thank you for your photos and question.
I agree with Dr. Blinski that you will require a revision facelift and neck lift surgery to obtain your desired results. Best of Luck.

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Why is my face lift so uneven?

Even with the longer distance posted photos appears as a below average results with no attention to details. I can only recommend complete revisional surgery..

"Re-tuck?"

Your photos suggest you may be a candidate for a facelift with possibly some fat grafting as well.  As for why you look the way you do 14 months after surgery, that is hard to say without viewing preoperative photos to see where you started and having more history, like if you lost and gained weight during the last 14 months.  You should discuss your concerns and options with your surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Facelift surgery with uneven contour.

It would be helpful to have the before surgery pictures. The contours that i see under your neck is you sub-mandibular gland and relaxation after surgery. It looks natural and non- operated.

Miguel Delgado, MD