Does sex change after a endometrial ablation? My husband and I had intercourse 3wks after my procedure, he sd it wasn't the same

Does sex change after a endometrial ablation? My husband and I had intercourse 3wks after my procedure, he said the Sex was different like he couldn't feel anything. Is this possible?

Sex not the same after an endometrial ablation

Endometrial ablation will not alter your vaginal dimensions or anatomy. I Hope you find this useful.If you are at all concerned do consult the doctor the who carried out the procedure.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sex shouldn't feel different for either of you, but since it does then you should return to your gynecologist for an examination. You may have vaginal relaxation that either of you weren't "tuned in" to, or he was expecting to feel some big difference following your procedure.  You won't know till you consult with your trusted gynecologist. If you get no real answers and he still voices concerns then you should consult with a reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon experienced in vaginal rejuvenation.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD, FACOG, FPMRS

Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Should "Sex" and the "feel" of the vagina change after an endometrial ablation

As others have said, NO, an endometrial ablation ONLY involves "sealing" the endometrial lining so that tissue inside the uterus doesn't form via the normal hormonal stimulation from your ovaries, and you don't bleed like a fire hydrant with each menses. No change in ovarian hormones. No change in the cervix, cervical secretions, vaginal size, vaginal moisture, vaginal musculature, G-spot, etc. Show your husband these responses. Sometimes, when we guys are worried about our sweetheart's sexual response when that special - and mysterious- area is "messed with," we pay more attention to the mechanics of lovemaking, and "notice" different things. You are the same sexy lady; your vagina has not been changed. You just (hopefully) will bleed less....

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA USA

Will Endometrial Ablation affect intercourse?

Hello brittani31,

Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. An Endometrial Ablation would have NO effect on the sensitivity, size or caliber of the vaginal canal. This procedure is performed up inside the uterus and only has effect on the lining of the uterus. I have performed hundreds of these procedures and this concern has never been raised to me post procedure. Perhaps more of a psychological perception on the part of your husband? Be well.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Endometrial ablation or vaginal laser?

Endometrial ablation would have NO EFFECT on vaginal canal since it is  a different location, and none of my patients in 16 years have said that. Do you mean vaginal laser/electric cautery or treatment?

Psychological and Physiological Sex Differences after Endometrial Ablation?

Endometrial ablation doesn't change the dimensions of your vagina. However, the physiologic stress of surgery causes temporary hormonal swings which may affect blood flow and lubrication for a few weeks. Your husband might have developed anxiety about your ablation and this might have created unfounded fears that "psyched him out" for lack of a better term. Things should normalize quickly with your body and your husband needs a little bit of education on what an endometrial does and doesn't do.