What to do to become a candidate for BBL? Need a game plan. I am 42 w/diabetes. What actions are need on my part?

I weight 217 and 5'9 3/4. Attached are my latest test results. My goal is to have the BBL this summer. I am under the assumption that I will also need a tummy tuck, which if I could get around that I would be a happy camper. What do I need to do/focus on to make my dream body happen? And what is a realistic timeframe to be at a place where a doctor would accept me as a patient? Your responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Preop for BBL

thank you for your email and your photographs and your lab results. You are definitely on the right track to having a safe BBL and a good cosmetic result !..

Let me try to break this down for you into three components; 1-Your cosmetic evaluation and candidacy for bbl, 2- your weight status, and 3- your laboratory results.

1- you are a good candidate for Brazilian butt lift. The fat around your flanks, your abdomen and your waist can all be taken down to narrow your waist and placed in your buttocks to make your buttocks wider, your hips wider and give you more projection posteriorly. I have attached an Instagram page for you to see similar cases for your review.   Regarding the tummy tuck, it would  be less safe in your case to do this operation at the same time as the BBL surgery,  because you would have to nurse on your stomach postoperatively to protect your buttock result and this would jeopardize your tummy tuck!  There is a significant chance that you would require a tummy tuck  in the future although this is determined 4 to 6 months after the BBL surgery to see how your skin has re draped in your abdominal area. 

2-  although you are tall and that is good, your weight is a little high and if you could lose 5 to 10 pounds that would make your surgery safer to perform. In my practice I do perform BBL on patients who weigh 205 to 210 pounds as long as they are tall like you.  Once again, I would refer you to the Instagram page so you can see similar patients. 

3- your lab results all look good. You do have a low mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC) which is slightly below normal and I would recommend you start Iron daily to increase this. In addition, you should get a hemoglobin A-1 C which is a determinator of how your blood sugars have been over the past several months. Of course you would need a full medical clearance from your doctor but I do not see any red flags based on the information you have given me. 

Overall, I think you would have a great result and a safe procedure. You should definitely look at safety results from all the BBL surgeons you interview and look at lots of before and after photos to get an idea of their experience.

Best regards! 

BBL & TT

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a full body examination done for an accurate opinion. In regards to your diabetes, as long as it is controlled and you provide medical clearance for surgery from your medical doctor/PCP then you should be fine to undergo surgery. I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting/applying pressure on your buttocks for at least 2 weeks after a BBL which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery. I also recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. Your BMI is around 32 so I would recommend getting it down to at least 30. I also recommend that my patients maintain their goal weight for at least 6 months prior to surgery because weight fluctuations can affect your results. It is important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for best results and to reduce your chance of health related issues. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBL Plan

I think you would be a great candidate for BBL and tummy tuck. Given your diabetes, you will want to make sure that you have strict glucose control for 6 months prior to surgery and clearance by your primary physician for this elective procedure. I also recommend that you take vitamins and exercise to get best results prior to your surgery next summer. Good luck! 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

Getting ready for a BBL

It seems that you are a good candidate for this procedure. You should be at the weight that you plan to stay at before the surgery. (Or at least close)

Your blood sugar should be stable and controlled well.

I think that you will get a very good result.

Good luck

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Your photos suggest that you would be a very good candidate for the BBL as well as a TT. These 2 procedures are often combined in my center. But you must lose weight and have your Diabetes well controlled. Finally you need medical clearance. You should start out by consulting with a Board Certified PS with extensive experience performing  BBL surgery. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I will recommend you to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and also to have a consultation and clearance from your primary endocrinologist to see if it will be alright to have surgery with your actual condition and levels.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

You Must Have  A Medical Clarence from your medical doctor. Then if you are cleared for surgery everything should be fine. 

A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body.

The recommended BMI is less than 30. This is the recommendation of the American society of plastic surgery. The reason simply, is increased chance of complications. These include but limited to, pulmonary embolus, deep venous thrombosis, delayed wound healing and increase infection rate.

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.

Rami Ghurani, MD

BBL Candidate

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. The first step involves having a consult with a bc ps. Next involves having medical clearance with your primary doctor. I would recommend a small amount of weight loss to decrease your BMI to 30, currently it is 31. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your photos. You will need to loose some weight, get medical clearance and contact your surgeon in the meantime to create a surgical plan. 

Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

BBL

You will have to get medical clearance from your surgeon first. You likely will need a tummy tuck down the road.