Can botox be injected for under eye wrinkles?

Thank you for the question. No, I do not think that Botox should be used under the eyes.  The risk would be weakening ("drooping")  of the lower eyelid. Best wishes.

Botox and eyes

Botox is good for crow's feet, but, in general, I don't think it is ideal for under the eyes. I would suggest that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below). Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Generally it is not recommended for under the eyes. It is best to be seen in person for an assessment. Best of luck.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

You need an examination.

If you go to a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon, you'll get the best advice possible for your concerns.  Without an examine, it is impossible for anyone to say whether the Botox will be effective or if you should instead have a laser and/or surgery.

Botox will be an option for a few, thin lower eyelid lines, but you certainly need an expert physician to do the injection to avoid some of the potential unfavorable outcomes.

Best of luck.

Hello Indianapolis7937,

Botox can help with wrinkles that develop with activity.  Usually the wrinkles below the eyes are more related to lax skin.  In select circumstances Botox can be used under the eye but in very small doses.  When too much is injected it weakens the muscle and allows the fat around the eye to push forward giving a poor cosmetic result.  A better option for the fine wrinkles are either topical creams (minimal benefit), resurfacing procedures like laser or chemical peels, or surgery.  

I would recommend you consult a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss your options.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small amounts of botox can help undereye area

Only tiny amounts of botox should be injected under the eye - but if done correctly, it can help with crepey skin that occurs with smiling. I frequently inject a small bit under the eye if patients need it there. Other treatments should be considered to improve the skin of that area such as using an eye cream regularly, laser skin rejuvenation, non-ablative tightening such as Pelleve and filling of any under eye hollow with Restylane or Belotero.

Botox for under eye wrinkles.

Yes it can. However in very small quantities to avoid drooping of your lower eyelids. I typically inject more lateral and not direclty under the eye itself in most cases to a achieve a very nice result. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

There are many ways t o treat dark circles, as well as under eye wrinkles and bags. It is important to note however, that the majority of times the cause for discoloration is genetic and due to the viability of the blood vessels below the skin. A combination approach is always needed to get the best results in this area and this includes: topical skin care, laser and/or radiofrequency treatments, and fillers if placed appropriately. All my patients are on topical lightening agents, typically a vitamin C serum product in the AM and a brightening agent and/or a vitamin A based product in the PM. Sun protection is essential.

Resurfacing and tightening are essential. My patients get offered a menu of options, for which a combination gives the best results. Light salicylic acid peels help give textural and pigment improvement; nonablative lasers (Fraxel or Clear + Brilliant) can be used to tighten and improve fine lines/wrinkles and crepe skin; fractional radiofrequency devices (Sublative, Viva) are cutting edge and improve texture, tone, and wrinkles with very little downtime; radiofrequency with pulsed electromagnetic fields (Venus) are amazing for puffiness and bags, in patients who do not want eyelid surgery; appropriately placed fillers can replace lost volume, cover up the vessels and fat pads below improving the appearance -- patients should pick a well experienced practitioner to prevent complications such as Tyndall (blue discoloration) and irregularities, one that uses a cannula for injection will help give results with little bruising or swelling; microsecond Nd:YAG laser treatments (Laser genesis) has produced dramatic improvement in discoloration in some of my patients and is safe in dark skin types, similar to the radiofrequency devices. For lifting, ablative laser resurfacing such as co2 laser combined with monopoloar radiofrequency deep heating (thermage) give amazing results. The key is for a patient to see a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in all the latest devices and techniques so the persons goals can be met by a combination approach of individualized treatments and skin care. In some cases, those who smile and have crepe skin or under eye wrinkles, a small amount of neurotoxin (botox, dysport, xeomin) strategically placed in the lower eyelid skin can improve wrinkles dramatically and give the eye a more "open" appearance.

Botox Under The Eyes

Generally, Botox is not recommended for general use under the eyes.  There are other treatments that will help that area.  The last thing you want if you are trying to minimize wrinkles in that area, is for the lower eyelids to droop.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Botox under the eye

Botulinum toxin is not as effective for wrinkles directly under the eye as they are for Crow's feet at the sides of the eyes. What undereye toxin is good for is making the eyes look more open and alert and bright

Gary Brauner, MD