Should you avoid laying on your back after a BBL fat transfer?

which is the right answer, do You lay on your back or not? which produces best result?

Avoid laying on your back for two weeks after a BBL

After a BBL, I have my patients avoid pressure on the buttocks whenever possible for two weeks.  When resting in bed or sleeping its best to stay on your sides or on your tummy.   Its OK to sit for a short while when using the restroom but if you must sit for longer then use a donut pillow and shift your weight frequently.  The fat cells after transfer need time to become established and putting excessive pressure on them too early can hurt the results.  There's no proven time frame that is required, just listen to your doctors advice.  Best of luck.   

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

BBL and sleeping

I prefer that patients avoid sitting or lying on their buttocks for at least two weeks post-op and sometimes longer. 

Recovery from BBL

Avoid direct pressure on your buttock for a few weeks after surgery to increase the survival of fat cells.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Thank you for your question.It is important to follow the post-operative protocols of your surgeon but you most definitely do not want to sit or lay on your back for at least the first three weeks. This is what I recommend for my patients; during the first week, only sitting to use the toilet is recommended and you much sleep on your stomach. The second week you may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day, the third week you may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only and after the third week sitting is fine as long as you are comfortable. I also recommend that your garments be worn at all times for 4 weeks from the day of surgery. I hope this helps.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after a BBL and a few more

I noticed your post a few questions so I will try to address each of them. The great majority of plastic surgeons recommend patients not sleep on their back for the first several weeks after a Brazilian. There is little scientific evidence that sleeping position as any significant detrimental impact but we know from basic tissue grafting principles that movement and pressure lowers the percentage graft survival rate. It would be highly unusual for a provider not to discuss this during the consultation or preoperative visit. If someone is thin and has had previous liposuction either by itself or for the purpose of fat transfer such a BBL then finding additional fat becomes very challenging. There's always some fat to be harvested from anybody. The question is is it a sufficient amount and how involved is it the harvest fat from multiple and technically difficult areas. For some people fat needs to be harvested from their arms, armpits, back, waist, hips, abdomen, inner thighs, knees and possibly outer thighs. An examination is almost always needed to make an accurate assessment when the amount of fat is in question. Most plastic surgeons do not charge for revisions though some may ask the patience to pay for facility fees when they are needed for revision surgery. When seeing a patient for revision surgery from another doctor the patient is considered a new  patient and most plastic surgeons will charge the regular fee for the procedure. If the revision is minor then discounts are often given. Some plastic surgeons will not discount and will see you a revision as a primary procedure. There is a variety of reasons this may be. When a patient is seen with problems from previous surgery the new doctor inherits all the patients previous problems. The liability if something goes wrong it's also the same for revision or for a primary surgery. The amount of time spent during consultation or follow up visits may be much more expensive when patients have had bad outcomes from previous surgery. I know of one prominent plastic surgeon in San Diego which charges double his standard fees for taking care of other doctors complications. We are all responsible for our own work and patience should generally follow up with their own plastic surgeon for revision work. We all realize sometimes the trust between the patient and provider may be broken and patients benefit from second opinions or having work done by someone with better or special expertise. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

BBL aftercare/sitting

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. Postoperatively, no specific position is indicated and we do not have any sitting restrictions.  The pressure caused by sitting is not sufficient to affect viability of the fat cells and so the postsurgical position depends basically on comfort and any other operations that have been performed. You should always follow your chosen surgeon instructions.