21 days post op breast reduction, one side bigger than the other (photo)

I am 21 days post op and one of my breast is majorly bigger than the other. Looks to be about a cup size larger. The larger one is also much harder, has more discomfort and had the most drainage after surgery. Is this normal? Do they tend to get more even as they heal?

#BreastLift #BreastReduction - one side bigger than the other

At 3 weeks, it's too early to be considering a revision in a non-emergent setting, as this appears to be.

That being said, it is disconcerting to have a significant size discrepancy at any stage in the healing.  You should speak with your own PS and determine whether or not there is some (excess) bleeding within the larger breast.  If not, then it is some degree of swelling and/or remaining tissue. 

But it will sort itself out over time.  The swelling will abate on its own; remaining excess tissue will not.  So it will become clear eventually.

Stay in touch with your own plastic surgeon.  At 6 months, it may be reasonable to undergo a relatively minor procedure (even something like liposuction) to make reduce one or both sides.  Whether or not that is worth it is something you'll have to decide in consult with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

21 days after breast reduction, some advices;

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
21 days after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks.
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast reduction

At three weeks, there can still be some differences in size relative to swelling and/or bleeding that was more on one side than the other. If after several months has passed, and there still a significant difference than a revision could be contemplated. Stick with your plastic surgeon during the healing phase of your surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and photo.  At three weeks post-op, you are still in what I consider to be the healing process.  Between now and about three months your breasts will continue to heal and reduce in swelling.  Please be patient and follow the post-op instructions of your surgeon moving forward to ensure optimal results.  If you are still dissatisfied once your breasts are healed and now longer changing, then you can consider a revision with your surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

21 days post op breast reduction, one side bigger than the other

Only time will tell. If after 3 months still very asymmetric to volume than consider revision surgery. Discuss with your chosen surgeon.....

Breast reduction post op

It is normal to have some size difference after surgery especially at three weeks. These things tend to even out over time as the swelling goes away. My guess is as you get to three months things will be more symmetric. Patience is key in the early phases after breast surgery 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

21 days post op breast reduction, one side bigger than the other.

If you had more drainage on the larger breast, you may still have more swelling on that side as well.  It may take 3 to 6 months for everything to settle.  If at that point you still have some asymmetry, discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  But, give your breasts time to heal.  The asymmetry may well improve in the coming weeks.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; your concerns regarding the breast asymmetry are understandable. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you in rule out complications that may be causing the breast asymmetry. Problems, for example such as fluid accumulation may be playing a part.

Hopefully, as you continue to heal your breast asymmetry will improve. Otherwise, revision breast reduction surgery may be necessary  to improve the breast symmetry.

Asymmetrical healing

It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your breasts to fully heal and the swelling to subside and it is quite common for each breast to heal at a different rate. So, for now, be patient. The asymmetry will hopefully resolve itself but if not, schedule an appointment to speak with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast reduction

You are only 3 weeks out and you are likely swollen. If the larger breast is harder and had drainage you may have fluid in there, and you need to be seen by your surgeon.