Is it better to go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist office for lip injections? (photos)

I did have it done at the dermatologists office and I liked the results except on my upper right lip the lip line dipped down a bit. So basically had some unevenness and the injector said it is just how my lips are??? Thought that was strange and should be fixable but I'm not a doctor so I don't know. The unevenness is not too noticeable and it's been over 6 months now so it may be hard to see but hopefully the picture helps.

Doctor Answers 5

Is it better to go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist office for lip injections?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I do see some subtle asymmetry between your right and left upper lip which can be improved with appropriate filler placement.  As far as injectors, I would recommend seeking out an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area with whom you feel comfortable and who understands your desired results.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Lip Injections and Best Physician

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best physician to do these injections is the one who has years of experience with facial injections.  Most cosmetic dermatologists inject every single day, all day long, and are expert at the artistry of these facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Who Is Best At Fillers?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds as if you were satisfied, but not completely satisfied with your last injector.  If in doubt, seek the opinion of a Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or another Dermatologist.  All three specialties are trained to perform fillers and each specialty has great and not-so-great injectors.  Lastly, it is very possible that you had some pre-existing asymmetry which should be reviewable on your pre-procedure photos.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would go to a plastic surgeon, You should start out with maybe 1cc and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur

Elliot M. Heller, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 96 reviews

Is it better to go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist office for lip injections?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The experience of the physician and aesthetic skill is more important than their credential. Both plastic surgeon and dermatologists perform injections. Seek out the physician injector that has the largest catalog of beautiful before and after results and the injector that is passionate about injecting fillers to create beautiful lips. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.