Skin pieces at surface after day 5 wash (FUE). Did I ruin grafts? (Photos)

On day 5, I washed scabs off and afterwards tiny clumps of skin (skin remnants?) appeared at surface of skin (photos). There was no blood, and the sink did not appear to have many hairs in it that I could see in the rinse. Does this mean I probably lost grafts during or afterward? Is it possible I traumatized the grafts and they will not grow? I include a photo of recipient at Day 8 (close cropped hair). Thank you

Scabs

It's common for the scabs to be falling out within the first two weeks. The fact you experienced no pain or saw any evidence of trauma implies that the grafts are probably fine. I think you'll be okay but it wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it, either. The skin clumps are also probably fine, they could be a sign of dry skin. Try contacting your doctor to see what they say.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Baldev Sandhu MD

It is normal to shed the grafts 2-3 weeks after the procedure. It will even look as though nothing was ever done. It takes up to a year to see full results. Wait patiently before you make any assumptions. 

Thank You

Baldev Sandhu MD

Baldev Sandhu MD

Thank You

Baldev Sandhu MD

"Skin pieces" on day 5 after fue surgery.

Barry L.,

The scabs start coming off about one week to 4 weeks after a hair transplant. So this is most likely nothing to worry about. If you have concerns then go see your hair surgeon.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Barry L.,

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Grafts lost during hair wash

Its normal to be overly cautious about your investment.  It doesn't appear that you have lost any grafts in the photo, although it is hard to tell.  However I typically tell patients that after 48 hours IF you lost a graft there would be blood. Also, I often see what appears to be a lot of tissue when the scalp is wet.  The tissue absorbs the water and causes it to expand.  It typically goes down or away as it dries out. You should contact you physician if you are concerned but I feel no reason to be alarmed.

Grafts lost during hair wash

You are probably not washing your scalp / hair properly. If you are having issues, go back to see your doctor

You are probably not washing your scalp / hair properly.  If you are having issues, go back to see your doctor.  Your doctor can help or instruct you to better wash your hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Skin pieces after washing

Usually one sees shedding occur from the 5-8th days and maybe this is what you are seeing, the normal shedding. If you are worried abut something you are seeing, visit your doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Skin pieces after washing

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon