How much weight ideally should I lose before a tummy tuck?

Hello! I am 34 years old, 5'5" and 210 lbs. I will eventually be getting a tummy tuck but would like to continue losing weight through diet and exercise before the surgery. In your opinion, for my best results, about how many pounds do you believe I ought to shed prior to a tummy tuck? 50? 60? Thank you in advance for your replies!! Genuinely, Anna

Thank you for your question. The more weight you loose the better your tummy tuck results will be. Losing weight reduces fat under the skin which allows the tummy tuck result to be tighter and thinner. Your goal of 50-60 pound should be excellent.

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty/ Reverse Tummy Tuck/ Liposuction/Muscle Plication/ Fleur de lis abdominoplasty

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Ideal weight before tummy tuck

There is no ideal weight but there are some general considerations.
1. You should be at the lowest weight you can get to, even if it is on a temporary basis. You don't want to lose weight after the tummy tuck because you will have some loose skin.
2. If you cannot lose weight before a tummy tuck it is still OK to proceed but the results will not be the best.
3. The leaner you are the less risk and complications are present for a tummy tuck.
4. You should try to get into good nutritional habits before a tummy tuck so you can maintain the results afterward.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Try to get your weight closer to 180 lbs which would bring your BMI down to 30.  This would would improve your chances for a better aesthetic result and reduce the risk for complications.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Weight Loss And Tummy Tuck

For the best result you should be at your ideal body weight.  This is for your health and to reduce the risk of complications.  Your primary care physician can recommend a safe weight loss program.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Weight loss before surgery

Right now with your current height and weight, your BMI is almost 35.  The higher your BMI the more at risk you are for different complications in the post-op period.  I would recommend getting your BMI to 30 or less, which would take you to about 180 pounds.  Although the more weight you lose, the better as far as your end result with the surgery.  It is hard to say how much would be ideal as far as weight loss goes without seeing photos or you in person to know for sure.  Also, depending on the surgeon you see, opinions can vary on how much to lose.  Good luck with your decision and with the weight loss.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon