Will another lift be needed?

I had a lift and augmentation 3 years ago. My implants are 650cc silicone under the muscle. Initially, I wished I had gone bigger, didn't think they looked much larger than my pre-surg size. People have recently made comments about them being to large and making me feel uncomfortable. I am curious if I was to go down to 500 would that make much of a difference and would I require another lift to prevent sagging skin? Thank you!

Downsizing large implants

I am basing this answer on 30 years of experience with breast augmentation and lift.  With implants as large as yours, there will always be sagging due to the weight of the implant . If you downsize  there will be additional loose skin .based on my experience therefore it is highly likely that you will need to have another liftHowever without photos it is very difficult to determine. You should see your plastic surgeon and have him examine you and make a determination .however one basic principle of breast surgery is that the larger the breast implants are especially saline then themore the breasts will sag 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Will another lift be needed?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift, you didn't provide photos, so if your breasts are saggy after surgery, you will need to repeat  your primary surgery.. hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lift and augmentation revision - if size is decreased will another lift be needed

Thank you for asking about your breast implant and lift revision.
  • I am so sorry but without photos, one truly can't tell you.
  • Going from a 650 to a 500 cc implant can make a big size difference - 
  • You may only need a capsulorraphy (tightening of the implant pocket) 
  • First you need a consultation to decide how much smaller you need to go -
  • And then whether a lift will be needed 
  • To decide the right size, go to the consultation with a bra you would like to fill out -
  • Often that helps the surgeon to guide you in adjusting an implant size.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Will another lift be needed?

Without seeing both pre-op and post-op photos - it's difficult to comment accurately. Generally speaking, when a real lift is performed at the same time as augmentation with implants- I would not recommend going bigger than 325cc, otherwise the quality of the lift can be compromised.. So if you feel that your implants are too large and you want to go smaller, you might be a candidate for bilateral implant removal, doing the real lift and wait 3-4 months until you heal, and then if you still desire more volume you can have Augmentation with implants; Alternative to this - would be- taking the implants out, doing a real lift (mastopexy),and have smaller implants placed under the muscle

Revision augmentation

Without seeing you  in person it is difficult to say.  A 150 cc drop should be noticeable, but may not be enough for you depending upon your goals.

Augmentation Mastopexy Revision

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women. Generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem.
Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size.
A revision of a #BreastLift with #Implants may be necessary for asymmetry, continued ptosis, implant malposition and the initial reasons the patient undergoes both procedures.

At times the #mastopexy will need to be changed from a periareola to a lollipop lift to get a more powerful lift.

Will another lift be needed? peglynn Indiana, PA 18 hours ago

Thank you for your inquiry.   Down sizing may not necessarily mean you will need another lift.   There are several different shapes of implants on the market.  Depending upon what shape of implant you have in now there is a chance that you could use a differently shaped smaller implant and require only a small revision of your previous lift.  
The best way to know is to have a consultation either with your previous plastic surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals.   The consultation and examination would allow the surgeon to assess what would be the best option for you.
Hope this helps

Downsize implants

At the end of the day do you feel comfortable with your size?If you do leave them alone.If you did downsize you might need a little tightening to go along with it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon