Got rhinoplasty a week ago. I know it is still too early but I want to see if you can tell me more about my recovery? (Photos)

My new nose makes me want to cry, I think my other nose use to make face look a lot softer and sweeter and now I feel ugly.. The tip of my nose sticks out more than desired, the shape of my nostrils differ drastically and give off the illusion of a crooked nose. I know it isnt going to stay like this but can you give me and idea as to how much more different it will look? Also why does my nose seem to be oozing grease through my pores? & will i be able to move my nose again? Thank you all!

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Rhinoplasty one week postop

Rhinoplasty one week postop  is associated with massive amounts of swelling. It takes six months for 90% of the swelling  to subside .   Make sure you see your plastic surgeon postoperatively . Many things can be done to decrease the swelling and therefore relieve anxiety. For example a short course of steroid medication can be dramatic. Injection of a very dilute  Kenalog steroid injection into the supratip region can be very helpful. Placing a splint back on and taping can be of great benefit in the early postoperative stages. Additionally, it is quite normal for people to undergo what you are feeling and postop depression. I hope you have found this helpful and best wishes in your recovery!  

JamesFernau M.D., FACS   Member of The Rhinoplasty Society 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

You are so early in the post-op period that you have to take a deep breath and relax.  It will take many many months for all the swelling to subside.  Be patient.

Rhinoplasty healing

Thank you for the photos.  The rollercoaster of emotions following a rhinoplasty is common.  Early on in the recovery, fear and concern about the appearance of the nose and how its healing is also common.  Take comfort, if you can, in the knowledge that at one week a nose can be pretty dramatically distorted in is and shape because of the swelling.  Have as much patience as you can and give your body enough time to heal prior to determining the final shape of your nose and your opinion of it.  Taking regular photos on a weekly basis also cane helpful to show you how progress is being accomplished.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. A week into your recovery is too early to detect any significant changes. It is very important to minimize the amount of swelling and bruising following surgery. The key for the patient is to remain patient throughout recovery because the patient will not be finished healing or able to detect significant changes until the 9-12 post-op mark. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Got rhinoplasty a week ago. I know it is still too early but I want to see if you can tell me more about my recovery?

Greetings

Thank you for your question, 

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty 3 Week Recovery

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty.

It is too early to make any determination. Swelling lasts for one year.

For specific questions about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS