Should I be concerned with incision not healing correctly? (Photos)

I am 14 days post tummy tuck. The incision has healed well with the exception of the middle area which has the most tension. The skin and tissues above the incision are extremely hard. Nothing is leaking from the incision line and it has not opened up at all, but What exactly is this red stuff in between the skin (glue?) , and will the two eventually grow together? Is there something I can do to encourage it? I have an appt with my PS in 3 days. I am not a smoker. Thank you !

Wound Care

Thank you for your question and photos. It is difficult to tell if this is dried blood which will wash away over time, or a slight wound separation. Careful cleaning and conservative wound care should ensure that it heals well and you have good results. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about your concerns.

All the best

Tummytuck Healing

Lynn.   It appears from your photos that there is slight separation of that part of your incision, but looks superficial. Best to follow up with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck

It is hard to tell from the photo.  I can not tell if that is just dry blood or some loss of skin. Best to be seen in person. Good luck.

Should I be concerned with incision not healing correctly?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination it appears that the middle portion of your incision has either some skin loss and separation that has crusted over or colored glue from the original surgery.  I would  ask your surgeon at your next appointment to detail what this darkened area is.  Best wishes.

Wound healing

It is difficult to determine what is exactly going on with the photos you posted. It does appear you have some dried blood along the incision under the steri strips.  This is completely normal. You are only 2 weeks in to the healing process, this is very early. Everything you are describing with the hardness and tension is normal.  Keep the steris in place until you see your doctor, and be sure the express all of your concerns at your next visit. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

difficult to tell you what is going on from the picture. You likely just have some mild crusting of the wound or that is the glue with some blood mixed with it and that was the way your wound was "sealed" at the end of surgery, impossible to tell without a physical exam. Go see your surgeon, he/she will be able to answer your question.