1 week post rhinoplasty. I know it's still too early. Need to know if I'm still very swollen? (Photos)

Its been only a week. I am hoping that I am still very swollen because I am so discontent with the appearance if my nose. The tip looks longer and crooked because of the indention on my left nostril. Will this go down/away? I feel I look like the witch off of snow white. Its causing me so much emotional stress. Your honesty and knowledge is appreciated.

Rhinoplasty - Recovery First

At 1 week, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

One Week Out

Its very early and the nose will change quite a bit in the next few weeks.  I have seen noses that swelled so much after surgery, especially in thick skinned patients, that the splints lifted off.  But swelling can distort the nose and you need to be patient.  It takes weeks to start to see the underlying structure. 

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty at one week

At one week out, your nose is going to be very swollen. It can take a year or more for the swelling to completely go away.

Rhinoplasty One Week Recovery

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty; and thank you for pictures.

Yes, it appears as though you have early asymmetry. Final results?  Not for months.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS