Is lipo good or tummy tuck? (photo)

is it true with tummy tuck U grain the weight back quicker? I do understand with anything U gotta work out. why do some states do not do lipo and tuck together I never could understand that??

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

Liposuction removes fat from between the skin to the muscle wall.  A tummy tuck is a more powerful operation which addresses tightening the abdominal wall muscles and removes excess skin. In neither procedure will you gain weight faster or slower.  These procedures are not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle and if you do not incorporate proper diet and exercise you can gain weight.  Liposuction is often combined with the tummy tuck procedure, however there is a limit to how much can be suctioned due to patient safety.  I encourage you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Gaining weight after a Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

It looks like you would be a good candidate for liposuction. If you have hanging skin in the front of the abdomen, you may benefit from some form of a modified tummy tuck as well. Both of these procedures are body contouring procedures as opposed to weight loss procedures. The ideal patient for liposuction is close to his/her preferred weight but has areas of excess fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. The ideal patient for a tummy tuck is a patient that is close to his/her preferred weight but has excess abdominal skin and/or muscle separation. 

After a tummy tuck or liposuction, one does not gain weight back more quickly. As far as combining liposuction and tummy tucks, this can be done to some extent, but aggressive liposuction of the tummy tuck skin flap can be too much trauma to the area and could impact healing after surgery. 

I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what options would make the most sense for your. Best of luck!

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Liposuction and tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.

Neither procedure is suggested for weight loss. These are body contouring and enhancing procedures. Liposuction helps target stubborn fat in areas that you can’t seem to lose with diet and exercise and a tummy tuck is mean to tighten loose skin on the abdomen due too excessive weight loss or pregnancy. You would be a good candidate for liposuction of the abdomen, back and hip rolls to help contour those areas but you will need to follow a balanced, healthy lifestyle through diet and exercise to lose weight and maintain your newly sculpted body. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photo. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tucks and liposuction

In modern tummy tuck's, like the suction is part of the procedure as well as tightening of muscles and removal of extra skin. It is not true that you gain the weight back faster with a tummy tuck. Some states, in where problems have arisen from aggressive liposuction cases, have made arbitrary limits on what is safe. Most prudent plastic surgeons would think twice about doing more than 5 L of  liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck anyway. Try to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your region with expertise in cosmetic torso surgery. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Is lipo good or tummy tuck?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

The Tummy Tuck is a procedure to those women that are concerned by the accumulation of fat or by the excess of skin in the abdomen and that not improves despite it diet or the exercise physical. This surgery is particularly useful for women who have hadmultiple pregnancies, after which the skin and abdominal muscles have been relaxed and have not recovered their initial tone. The difference is that when only applies liposuction patients who have excess skin, this will cause more sagging and not be achieved the desired results.

Hope hear from you soon, best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

A tummy tuck addresses three things - excess skin, excess fat and loosened muscle/abdominal wall. Liposuction only addresses excess fatty tissue. I would recommend having a consultation and examination with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon to determine the best surgical plan for you.

Lipo vs tummy tuck

Neither is performed as weight loss- they address problem areas of fat and skin. A tummy tuck also tightens muscles and removes skin. With both, you should maintain healthy lifestyle to avoid post op disappointment.

Personally, I will only do liposuction of the flanks (love handles) with a tummy tuck for safety and less complications.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Liposuction vs Tummytuck

Liposuction is ideal for fat removal in areas unaffected by diet and exercise and a great tool for contouring the body. Tummytuck provides a more dramatic result in patients with redundant skin after pregnancy or massive weight loss and had weakened abdominal muscles. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Is lipo good or tummy tuck? (photo)

You do not gain weight faster after a TT. As to liposuction there are recommended  limits as to how much volume fat can be removed during one surgery. You should review all this with your surgeon.

George Lefkovits, MD