How can I improve my stomach? (Photo)

I have a stretched linea alba or a small diastasis recti. I am very fit, healthy, and lean... But I still do not appreciate the appearance of my abdomin after two children. I'm not sure what surgery is best for me, as my diastasis is very small and I have very little extra skin and body fat. I wouldn't mind if some of the loose skin I do have was removed, but there really is very little.. Not sure what there is to work with. I'm no happy with my belly button either..

Doctor Answers 11

How can I improve my stomach?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congratulations on two children and the discipline to stay fit. Your abdomen looks great. There does appear to be a small umbilical hernia and a slight diastasis. With the thinness of your tissue I would suggest an umbilical hernia repair and accepting the diastasis at this time. 

For some mildly lax skin, there are a couple minimally invasive methods to give some tightening including ThermiTight and Infini.

It would be best for a personal consultation to evaluate your anatomy.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello dear, congratulations about yout healthy life, that;s great! I have to tell you that you should get a consultation with a boar certified plastic surgeon to determine your surgery

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 441 reviews

What to do for your stomach

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most things look to be in very good shape and you are right to understand you do not need a full abdominoplasty. A consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon would allow a close examination and perhaps a few different approaches to your problem. A mini tummy tuck with a limited plication of your rectus sheath may serve you well.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

How can I improve my stomach?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are incredibly fit with very little loose skin. Based on your photo you may also have a small umbilical hernia in addition to the small Diastasis.

You need an in person exam by an experienced plastic surgeon.

A direct incision to repair the Diastasis would create unacceptable scarring.

You do not have enought skin for a fully abdominoplasty with umbilical transposition.

It is possible, but technically difficult, to make a lower tummy tuck incision, elevate the abdominal skin but leaving the "belly buttion" attached and repair the Diastasis and hernia if prsent.

However you will need to find a very experienced plastic surgeon to attempt this.

In addition you will have to accept a hip to hip scar on your lower abdomen.

Repair diastasis?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your picture, you obviously have very little body fat and are in great shape.  Hard to get to this after 2 kids.  I'm not sure I would recommend the surgery needed to correct your diastasis. Perhaps a procedure to correct the belly button is all you need.  Best to determine that with a live consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

How can I improve my stomach?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend that you visit one or more Plastic Surgeons for an in-person consultation because what they recommend to you surgically will be based on many factors including quality/laxity of skin and your personal goals and expectations. It appears that you have only a small issue to correct and you may find that the various risks and considerations for surgery are not worth it for you. Consultation is the best way to find out,

All the best

How can I improve my stomach.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When very fit and very lean with the muscular definition seen in your photo, caution is the best advice. Perhaps only the BB needs tucking in with a modest procedure. Careful consultation will point you in the right direction.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Tummy tuck, umbilical change, diastasis repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I reviewed the photo and cud's to your work-out efforts following 2 children. I would wait out the risks and benefits in your case. The photo indicated limited loose skin below the belly bottom. I can see either a mini-tummy tuck or just an umbilicalplasty. I do not feel that a full tummy tuck to correct small diastasis is worth the larger incision, and limit your exercise regiment following a full tummy tuck. i would recommend following up with a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and give you your options. I wish you all the best. good luck

Dr Kotis

Diastasis Repair/ Umbilical Change

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The only way to repair your mild diastasis rectus is to surgically bring the muscles back together in a few  layers of permanent sutures internally.  However, that requires an abdominoplasty approach and would be a pretty big surgery just to close down that space a small amount.  You appear to be extremely fit and active, and doing such a surgery would shut your exercise/ activity down for at least three months.  That is something to take into consideration.  Is it worth it for the amount of recovery that would be necessary?  Only you can answer that.  The best thing to do is to go for a consulation with a board-certified plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.

How can I improve my stomach?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photograph.  I am sorry that you are unhappy with aspects of your abdomen, but for having had two children, your stomach is in terrific shape.  If you REALLY wanted to address your concerns, there are two ways to do so. A full tummy tuck would allow you to reshape/reconstruct your belly button while allowing for repair of any diastasis along the entire length of your abdomen, but will leave you with an additional vertical scar somewhere between your belly button and your lower tummy tuck incision.  If the diastasis is only along your lower abdomen, a mini tummy tuck would help address the diastasis, while an umbilicoplasty can help reshape your belly button.  Based on your picture alone, I think you should not pursue any surgical intervention as the incision of the tummy tuck is not worth the rewards of the diastasis repair.  I would recommend only pursuing an umbilicoplasty because it appears that you may have a small hernia present.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination.  They will best be able to give you surgical recommendations based on your stomach's appearance.  

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.