I am having a breast reduction and tummy tuck in November. Should I lose as much weight as I can or just stay as I am?

I don't know if I should hit the gym hard or just stay as I am. I don't know what will get the best results. I'm 36 5'5'' and 148 lbs. I guess I'm worried if I have looser skin if that will make the surgery harder? Help please!

Weight loss before surgery.

It is always best to be at your ideal weight before body contouring surgery as you will heal better and the end result will be more consistent. I offer my patients nutritional options to help in this process. I view the surgery similarly to running a marathon. If you train for it you will perform better, less chance of injury and quicker recovery. So if you smoke, STOP. Don't drink alcohol a couple days before or after the procedure and the last is the nutritional source I personally use and highly recommend. Good luck.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

#weightloss #breastreduction #tummytuck

For both of these procedures, I recommend that if your goal is to get your weight down, that you do so prior to surgery. You do not want to lose (or gain) a significant amount of weight after surgery as it can effect your final outcome.  We aren't focused on any specific BMI just each individual's weight loss goals and their expectations.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast reduction

I do not require patients to lose weight in order to have breast reduction surgery or any other surgery for that matter.  I feel that cosmetic outcomes are the best at your lowest weight though.  If you are planning to lose weight, then I would encourage you to do that before surgery.  I have seen a number of patients who felt better after their breast reduction and became more active resulting in weight loss and decreased breast size.  These patients are then too small and wishing for larger breasts again.   I think that if you are planning weight loss anyway, then do it before surgery.  If you are not planning to have weight loss, then don't worry about trying before surgery.

Kenton Schoonover, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and weight

I think that if you are planning to lose weight, then lose the weight first. Best of luck with your decision  to move forward.  

Breast Implants/Breast Reduction/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast reduction - should I lose weight?

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.
  • You should be at a weight you can maintain after surgery.
  • If you lose weight now and gain it after surgery - your breasts will get bigger.
  • So yes, fitness is good. That part of it is great.
  • But no, losing weight you can't keep off is ill-advised.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Should you lose weight?

It is necessary to be within 20 pounds of your goal weight before surgery. It is more important to be consistent with your weight as that it would be the best measure for your surgeon to use during your consultation.

Working Out Before Surgery

In general, it is best to be at a weight that you believe you will be able to maintain after surgery.  Doing so will lead to the most long-lasting results.  If you think you can lose some weight and maintain that weight and lifestyle after surgery, that actually makes the surgery easier with more dramatic results.  Again, the key is maintaining the weight afterward.  I hope that's helpful.

Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery. Always best to be at your long-term stable weight before surgery  and to maintain this weight afterwards. Your  concerns regarding "looser skin" are not necessary. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.