Should I get a hair transplant? Am I too young? (photos)

I'm 19 and I'm very self conscious about my hairline. I've had this hairline for as long as I can remember. I am not losing hair it's just how my hairline is. I would like to have surgery to fix this. But is surgery the only option and am I too young for this? This is something I have wanted to change for a while now.

If you have issues with your hair line and would like to explore surgical options, it is best to see a doctor in person.

If you have issues with your hair line and would like to explore surgical options, it is best to see a doctor in person.  There is no absolute rule on age as long you are mature and have a good grasp of the risks and benefits of surgery.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss in young patient

You are very young for a HT. However if this pattern runs in your family and there is no significant hair loss in other areas of your scalp then a HT could be considered .  A careful exam and consult is essential and discussion regarding NON-Surgical options are also very important.

Good Luck 
J E Vogel, MD

James Vogel, MD

19 with hair loss

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon