Derme Pappilae likely crushed from Day 5 wash? (Photo)

On day 5, I washed a little vigorously to remove scabs and the area did not bleed but became very inflamed (post-wash photos included). The grafts appeared to keep their position/orientation afterward. Are the derme papillae susceptible to being damaged under such circumstances? How likely is it that the final result of will be significantly altered?

Day 5

as long as you didn't experience any bleeding in the area your grafts should be fine. you will be able to tell your final results by 12-15 months. 

Chicago Physician

Vigorous washing or rubbing the first few days after a hair transplant is a NO NO

Most of the new grafts have settled to their new location by the end of day 4.  We recommend washing your hair with a special shampoo and surgical sponge twice a day for the first 4 days. Do not rub, only dab the shampoo suds on the donor and recipient areas and rinse using a few cups of lukewarm water.  On the 5th day you may use your regular shampoo to wash then, brush your hair as you normally would.  You may resume most of your regular activities after day 4, but hold off on strenuous exercise for a full week.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

There is no way to tell with just photos or descriptions. If you are concerned, it is best to see your doctor

There is no way to tell for sure with  photos or descriptions.  If you are concerned, it is best to see your doctor for a follow up.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon