I'm having power assisted liposuction by doctor with little experience in this area. Should I be concerned?

I am scheduled to have power assisted liposuction on my tummy roll by a BCPS. I found out from his nurse a few weeks after scheduling that he has little experience in this area. She said he usually uses liposuction along with a tummy tuck. Should I be worried he won't do a good job and I will have complications? Nervous as heck since she disclosed that to me (upon my inquiry).

Power-assisted liposuction of the abdomen

You should have complete confidence in your surgeon before your procedure. Your surgeon would want that, too. If your surgeon is confident that she/he can achieve a good result, I would not be too concerned. It sounds like your surgeon does have experience with liposuction as part of a tummy tuck. Performing liposuction alone without other components of a tummy tuck is simpler. Since you are nervous about your surgeon's experience, I recommend addressing your concerns regarding obtaining a good result without complications with your surgeon before your procedure. Ask to see more pre-and post-photos of abdominal liposuction - seeing good results achieved by your surgeon may give you the confidence you need. I wouldn't necessarily be deterred by the nurse's comments alone. You can be honest with your surgeon that you need more time, if you decide to get a second opinion.

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, and, if needed, seek a second opinion.

If at any point you are uncomfortable with moving forward or have reservations about the quality of results that you think you can expect, please discuss this with your plastic surgeon. He or she should welcome the openness and honesty, as this may very well be a misunderstanding as far as his/her nurse is concerned. If you do discuss your concerns and you still feel uncomfortable, it’s absolutely okay to seek a second opinion from another board-certified plastic surgeon. Please don’t hesitate to ask as many questions as you have!

Liposuction - should I be concerned?

Thank you for asking about your Power assisted liposuction and your plastic surgeon.
  • This is an unusual situation -
  • It may be your plastic surgeon is recently trained, will do an excellent job but the nurse hasn't been with him long.
  • It may be there is an issue with the surgeon.
  • There may be an issue with this employee which the surgeon doesn't know about.
  • You need to return to see your surgeon, tell him what his nurse said and ask him politely but directly how much experience he has with liposuction.
  • And, if he chiefly does liposuction with tummy tucks, how he plans to do your liposuction so you get your best result.
  • If the surgeon is angry, defensive or can't answer your questions - that's not a good sign.
  • If not, you will have an explanation and find the second visit reassuring.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Confidence in your Plastic Surgeon

Do not proceed with any operation until you are completely confident of your surgeon's ability. Period. 
If you need to see him another time. Do so. If you have more questions that only he can answer. Make sure that he does so before the surgery. 
Power Assisted Liposuction is just another tool many experiences Plastic surgeons use. But you have the right to be confident in your choice of surgeon and surgery. 
Dr. Peter  A. Aldea
Memphis, TN 

Power assisted liposuction with inexperienced surgeon

First, it is rather odd that a plastic surgeon's staff member does not have confidence in her employer. He or she should be very confident about the plastic surgeon's skills and judgement. This certainly would require another visit to ask more questions...how many procedures have been done, can you meet my expectations, what are the risks and complacations, are there alternative treatments, may I see photos of your work, may I speak with patients that have had this procedure...You may want to get a few more opinions from other plastic surgeons and compare your experience witht the consultations. Doing liposuction with a tummy tuck is done frequently with caution and power assisted liposuction is quite a standard procedure, so none of these procedures are out of the ordinary.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  First and foremost, I would schedule another appointment with your surgeon and ask him/her about this.   It also is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Liposuction, found out surgeon had little experience

Thank you for your question.I would recommend clarifying with the surgeon rather than the staff if you were comfortable before hearing the comment.  This would be an odd occurrence that a board certified plastic surgeon does not have sufficient experience in liposuction of the abdomen and flanks.  The surgeons response will guide you.  If it is reassuring then your probably good.  If there is some hesitation then perhaps it would be good to see another surgeon.It could be true that the surgeon is inexperienced. It could also be that the staff has not been with surgeon long to know if he or she is experienced. It could also be that the staff is unhappy.Regardless the surgeon would love the opportunity to discuss the concern.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Experience of surgeon

As a plastic surgeon, I would want, if you are my patient that you are perfectly comfortable with the surgery as well as the anticipation of good results. I would recommend you see a few other qualified plastic surgeons in your area and gauge their opinions and level of experience with power assisted liposuction. In our office, we use not only power assisted liposuction but vase,r for 12 years, now to enable a more thorough liposuction outcome. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS