Breast Implant Consultation Question.

Hi folks, I have a few breast augmentation consults with various doctors coming up. I have a few questions about the consultation process Would it be appropriate for me to bring images of other individuals who have the breast size I want? Are there any questions you would want your patients to ask during the consultation which they do not ask? Thank you

Breast Augmentation questions

You will much better off when you are prepared. You should definitely bring pictures with you. Be very clear about what you want out of this procedure. Go with your gut and don't let any PS talk you into anything you are not comfortable with. 

Consultation

In my opinion, the single most valuable thing you can do is to bring a few (not albums worth) select photos of breasts that are the proportion you are seeking to achieve. Remember, they are not you. All the implant do is make YOUR breasts larger. You will judge your final result by LOOKING at your breasts so SEEING that desired "look" pre-op is invaluable to the surgeon in their choosing the best implant to achieve it.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Bring photos and ask any questions that you have.

With your consultations coming up, start a list of every question you would like to ask the plastic surgeons you’re planning to see. Write down everything. Don’t throw out questions because you think they’re silly or unimportant. Any question you want answered is important and can help your plastic surgeon tailor your breast augmentation procedure to fit your goals. You should also bring photos because they will help your surgeon get an idea of the look you’d like to achieve. During your consultation, be open about your concerns and your expectations. The more your plastic surgeon knows, the better they can plan for a good outcome.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Pictures Are Helpful

The consultation process is easier and more productive for both surgeon and patient when there's a clear sense for what you want. It sounds like you're certainly doing your part. I appreciate it when patients come in with photos of examples they'd like to try and emulate. Having a visual point of reference gives both parties something tangible to work with — but it's important to note that your goal should not be to create an exact replica of what you bring in. Your body is uniquely yours, and the best surgeons can take your examples and use them to shape their thinking. Beyond the photos, a little advice on the consultation process: No question is really "off limits." I encourage my patients to come to the appointment with a list of topics that they'd like to discuss. Remember, the consultation is a time to learn about the surgeon as well as the procedure. If you feel uncomfortable, rushed, or if you simply don't "click," shop around until you find the right match. Good luck to you.

Come Prepared With Questions

It is important to bring photos which demonstrate the look that you like and also a list of questions. Here are some examples of important questions to ask based on the region I practice in:

1. According to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, is your certified specialty designation Plastic Surgery?2. Are you a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons?3. Are you an active member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario?

4. Has any disciplinary action been taken against you by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario?

5.  Were you a distinguished member of your graduating class in medical school?

6. Did you pursue Cosmetic Surgery as a sub-specialty ofyour Plastic Surgery training?

7. Do you have hospital privileges?

8. Do you oversee the activities of other Plastic Surgeons? Do you have experience serving in a principal role at a hospital?

9. Do you serve on any panels or boards governing quality?

10. Do you perform your surgeries only at accredited facilities?11. Do you remain up-to-date with advancements in the field of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery?12. In addition to the question above, do you ensure that your techniques are current, modifying them as necessary to optimize their effectiveness and safety?

13. Has your research been published in peer reviewed national and international Plastic Surgery journals?

14. Do you have many patients who have referred their friends and family primarily because of the quality of treatment they received with you?

All the best

Good idea to bring pictures

It is a good idea to bring pictures.The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic). Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising. Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created. The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced. Both silicone and saline implants can be placed through the armpit by a surgeon with skill and experience using this approach. The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast. A round implant would be a better choice because they move more like breasts. The anatomic implants have a textured surface which makes them feel very unnatural. In addition, there is no benefit to anatomical. There is an X-Ray study that shows the implants from the side at 6 months. Standing, the round and the antomical implants have the same profile. When you lie down however, the anatomical implants do not change, which is unnatural. A round implant will change when you lie down, like a natural breast would. HP implants, which are a more modern shape than moderate profile implants, fit most women better. They have a more appropriate base diameter and can be made to look very natural or very augmented, depending on where in the range the implants are filled to achieve a particular volume. High profile implants are the first choice in my opinion. I rarely find an indication to use moderate or moderate plus implants. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of volume, and where in the range the implant is filled. There are many advantages to sub muscular dual plane placement and very many disadvantages to sub glandular placement.  I would see no indication to do anything but sub muscular dual plane.  Subglandular silicone implant placement is the historical approach to this surgery, and was widely used in the 1960's.  The implant edges are more visible, the risk of rippling is higher, the implant is in contact with the non-sterile breast tissue so the risk of infection and capsular contracture is higher.  The interface between the breast tissue and the muscle is blurred so the implant interferes with mammography more than sub muscular placement.  The blood supply surrounding the implant is worse so the risk of capsular contracture is higher.  The support for the implant is less so there is more long term shape abnormalities and sagging.  The look of a sub glandular implant is much less appealing than a sub muscular implant.  The placement of sub glandular implants makes any subsequent revision surgeries more complicated and less successful.  There are no advantages to sub glandular implant placement. The choice between saline and silicone is one that requires a complex discussion of all of the advantages and disadvantages of both implants. The issues to be considered are safety, density, mobility, rippling, rupture rate, consequences of rupture, detection of rupture, need for follow-up care, cost of follow-up, appearance, feel, sensation of heaviness, radio-density, mammograms, and costs, among other things. There are advantages and disadvantages of both products. The decision will ultimately be up to you based on what is appropriate for your particular situation. Beautiful results can be obtained with either implant. The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards. The patients should be allowed to choose the volume. Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of implant. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you. They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size. There is no maximum. That is up to you.

Advices

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Use of pictures in breast augmentation consultation

Dear Cryan8200I think you are doing the right things preparing yourself before a consultation and planning to see more than one surgeon. These two things will help you in making the right decisions. Regarding pictures they can be very useful for the surgeons to understand your expectation but try to find pictures of patients that have had surgery before (it is difficult to compare natural breast to operated breast) and try to select preoperative pictures similar to your breast (if the starting point is similar you have more chance to not be disappointed with the result). Regarding questions the best advice is to ask whatever you want and do as many questions you want, consultation time is precious and you want to use it and do not be shy to ask for a second consultation if something is not clear or more questions come to your mind once you have gone back home.Good LuckMr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Consultation questions

Thank you for your question.  The more research you do before the consultation, the more you will get out of the consultation.  It is helpful to have photos to show, that helps your surgeon understand your goals and he or she can let you know whether that is a reasonable look given your unique breast shape and size.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Questions For BA Consult

I think it is helpful to have some pictures to share with the plastic surgeon during your consultation.  The more accurately you can communicate your goals the better able the surgeon will be to achieve them.  Equally as important, if your goals are unrealistic it will give the surgeon an opportunity to explain why that is so.  Also, you want to be certain to discuss where the surgery will be performed, anesthesia (type and personnel administering), incision location, pocket location, how size is determined, implant options, postop recovery, risks and how things will be handled if complications should arise.  You should also see photos of previous patients and obtain an inclusive list of all the fees.  I am assuming you would have already checked the surgeons credentials prior to scheduling your appointment and you are certain he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon