Smoking after FUE Hair Transplant

I'm not a chain smoker at all but the thing is I smoked a cigarette 3 weeks after my FUE hair transplant and I know smoking is not good for the blood circulation to the hair. My question is I'm really paranoid that will that cigarette affect my hair growth? Il ensure that no more cigarettes are smoked.

If you are paranoid, it is a thought or a mental condition that may not have to do with the real issue.

If you are paranoid, it is a thought or a mental condition that may not have to do with the real issue.  Smoking is bad as you know.  If you are looking for others to tell you it will be "ok", then you can find some answers here.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hd a smoke 3 weeks after FUE

I doubt that you damaged the grafts. We always tell out patients not to smoke as it reduces the blood supply to the recipient area

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking post transplant

Thank you for posting your question. Every physician will tell you smoking is bad for your health. It also can effect the growth of your grafts. However @ 3 weeks post operative you haven't hurt anything.  I do advise your do everything in your power to limit smoking as it does constrict the blood supply and of course the warnings posted on the label by the surgeon general should also be deterrent.

Craig Barbieri, MD
Overland Park Phlebologist

Smoking after FUE Hair Transplant

Thank you for posting your question. 3 weeks post procedure, you are absolutely fine and 1 cigarette will not hinder the growth. But since nicotine will  constrict the blood vessels, it would be to your advantage to discontinue smoking especially in the early stages. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking is Bad for Hair

I worry less about the nicotine than the ash residue from the smoke that contains nitrosamines, which are heavy oxidizers and bad for hair. It is good that you are committed to staying off cigarettes. You may want to review my posts below on other chemicals to avoid.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking one cigarette 3 weeks after FUE

y14,Smoking tobacco after any surgical procedure is not a good idea. Nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor, hence it decreases the needed tissue perfusion that is very important in wound healing and the growth of the transplanted follicles. However, at 3weeks post-procedure to have smoke one cigarette is most likely not going to alter the course.  
Good luck,
Bernardino A. Arocha,MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking after a hair transplant

The main affect that smoking has on the hair is that is reduces the amount of oxygen carried by the blood. Due to this, the scalp is unable to receive the required nutrients and follicles become unhealthy. The top layers of the hair are damaged and become brittle which can lead to them prematurely break. Once the hair transplant has been done, the newly transplanted hair follicles need good nutrition to survive in their new location. Conditions that are not conducive to their development will likely damage their growth and thus have ill effects on the transplant in general. All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon