Scabs post FUE surgery, will this effect my results? (photo)

I had a fue sugery 2months ago and I was told that the scabs usually fall/go away in 2weeks-4weeks time post sugery. However it's been a2 months and the scabs haven't completely gone away. As shown in the picture. (The scabs have become like crust and they are very stubborn as they have completely got sticked to my head) I keep applying olive oil but the falling of scab is extremely slow. Since the scabs are taking their time will it affect my results? I hope this question made sense.

Having scabs after 2 months is not normal. Contact your doctor for a recheck and wash your hair normally.

Having scabs after 2 months is not normal.  Contact your doctor for a recheck and wash your hair normally.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crusting at 3 days

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs 2 months after an FUE procedure

It is not the typical post-op course to have persistent matting 2 months after a hair transplant. We instruct our patients to shampoo twice per day for the first 3 days, to start applying bacitracin ointment to the transplanted are gently after days. the scabs start to fall off by 5 days. Most if not all scabs are gone by 7-10 days. Please consult with your surgeon.

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs post FUE surgery

No , scabs after FUE are no effect on result .But 2 months is very long time to get ride off them .. please wash your hair properly with massage and enough pressure

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Scabs post FUE 2 months after surgery. Will this effect my results?

Well for starters you definitely should not let those scabs be there this long. After two weeks you should have been scrubbing your scalp normally. I feel that you have not been doing this and have been babying your scalp too much.  I personally do not think your result will be affected by the scabs however you need to scrub that out with a shampoo. You may even have to cut your hair if it is matted up. Take care.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon