PRK, ASA, SMILE or ICL? I'm totally confused
Doctor Answers 1
What are all the refractive procedures?
1. LASIK cutting your eye w a metal blade
2. "bladeless" LASIK cutting your cornea in half with a femptosecond laser
3. SMILE which is removing a piece of your cornea but can't fix astigmatism or hyperopia
non-cutting: safer be no flap, ok for contact sports, doesn't cause dry eyes or night glare, but recovery longer:
1. PRK orig procedure hurts a LOT and takes FOREVER to heal
2. LASEK or alcohol-assisted PRK, way less pain, much quicker recovery
3. epiLASEK, most modern "advanced surface ablation" w the safety of PRK and quick recovery of LASIK (only problem is very few surgeons own an epi-keratome machine which is nec to perform this procedure)
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.