Hair fall after hair transplant

After 20 days days of hair transplatation my hairs are falling day by day..it is occuring after using minoxidil..after using minoxidil crust incresing day by day nd i think its reason of hair falls.bt my doctor advice me use it after 15 days of hair transplation.i am very confuse.when i touch my receipent area of hairs it falls very easily..nd can i spray with water on my head or not..? Kindly tell me.

Shock Loss is normal

It sounds like your having normal shock loss of the transplanted follicles. They will return 3 months post-surgery and be mature 9 months after hair transplant. 

Usually if the grafts stay put and even grow a bit longer in the first 14 days after hair transplant, it means the grafts have been assimilated well and survived. Falling after 14 days is normal shock loss. 

Using Minoxidil lotion and LLLT, taking Finasteride pills would reduce the shock loss and hasten the return of the grafts. 

Singapore Physician

In general transplanted hairs will fall out several weeks after surgery before new hairs start to grow. You should have been

In general transplanted hairs will fall out several weeks after surgery before new hairs start to grow. Spraying water on your hair should not be an issue.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Natural Post-Transplantation Hair Fall

All hair follicles naturally go through cycles of growth and shedding. The anagen phase, when the hair is actively growing, can normally last anywhere from two to six years, but then each individual hair is shed to make way for new growth in the next cycle. Normally, this pattern is staggered, so that only about 10% of the follicles are in the resting, or telogen, stage at any one time. However, when the body undergoes a traumatic physiological stress, like a surgical procedure, the shock to the scalp follicles can cause a much larger percentage of them to enter the telogen phase simultaneously, so that it seems as though all the hair is falling out at once. Moreover, the act of transplanting hair follicles from one area of the scalp to another during a hair transplant can also place a great deal of stress on those follicles, so it is common for newly transplanted follicles to be in the telogen state.

This means that most patients experience some degree of shedding after a hair transplant. This does not mean that that the transplant was unsuccessful, but simply that the follicles need some time to get back into their natural rhythm. Even in perfectly healthy, undisturbed hair follicles the telogen phase can last approximately 100 days before new hair begins growing, so it may be several weeks before you can see the new hairs beginning to grow. Until that time, old hair will most likely shed but this is nothing to be concerned about. It is important to remember that minoxidil works by preventing the shrinkage of hair follicles that leads to thinning and eventual loss, but it does not interrupt the hair’s natural cycle and so will not affect the loss you are experiencing. The post-surgical maintenance plan formulated by your doctor is designed to address the issues that resulted in your original hair loss and so it is vital that you follow it carefully in order to preserve your long-term results.

As to whether you can spray water on your head, I don’t imagine that doing so would be a problem at your stage, but it is extremely important that you communicate all of your questions to the doctor who performed your hair transplant surgery, as they will have access to your complete medical history and the specific details of your case. In general, shampooing or rubbing the scalp will likely result in the loss of additional telogen hairs, but again this loss should only be temporary. Every person will have different individual requirements, but I normally advise my patients that they can shower and even blow dry their hair without restriction as soon as one week after their surgery.

Edmond Griffin, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. Hair shedding is a natural part of the regrowth process. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to ensure that you understand fully the recovery process.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Fall After Hair Transplant

There is a possibility - due to operation stress - that a number of hairs will fall out in the post-operation phase. This generally temporary occurrence is known as "shock loss", and may last just a few weeks or possibly months. In certain cases, donor hairs and neighbouring hairs may fall out after a hair transplant (for instance when dense packing has been performed). This should not worry patients, as the hairs generally regrow once the shock loss period has ended. Moreover, the cell responsible for regrowth remains in the scalp even though the grafted hair falls.

Jean Devroye, MD
Belgium Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair fall after hair transplant

Thank you for posting your question. It is normal for hair/grafts to shed after hair transplant procedure. Usually this is seen 8 to 10 days post procedure. That being said, 20 days after is completely normal. If you are still concerned, it might be a good idea to contact the clinic that performed your procedure. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding hair after transplant

There are 2 types of shedding ("hair fall") after a hair transplant: (1) so-called "shock loss", or shedding of native hair in the recipient area due to various types of surgical trauma, and (2) the nearly inevitable loss of hair shafts from the transplanted follicles. The shock loss should recover to a significant degree, perhaps even completely over the next 3-4 months, and the transplanted follicles will begin growing new hairs around the same time. Minoxidil can help with both of these situations, so keep using it twice a day; however, finasteride is more effective than minoxidil, so you should talk to your doctor about this. And you should definitely continue shampooing your hair; this is healthy for your scalp and will not cause the permanent loss of any hair you would not have otherwise lost. Call your surgeon if you wish to discuss any of this further. 

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shock loss

Shock loss occurs after hair transplants and impact your native hair. To  prevent this see the video below which explains what to do

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon