Do I have a weak chin? What procedure should I consider in this case? (photo)

Candidate for chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Do I have a weak chin? What procedure should I consider in this case?

Hello, and thank you very much for the question. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, as this will allow for the best possible advice. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you; this will give you an idea of how the final result of a procedure may appear. During the consult, your prospective surgeon will be able to determine if a chin implant would best suit your needs. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Answer: chin implant candidate

Thank you for your question! It is unfortunately difficult to evaluate your anatomy based on your photos. I think it would be beneficial for you to be fully assessed by a board-certified facial plastic surgeon at a face-to-face appointment. During a consultation you can expect to discuss your main areas of concern, as well as your desired goals and the surgeon can then present you with realistic outcomes and treatment options. I hope this is helpful to you!
All the best to you!
Dr. Todd Hobgood, Scottsdale, AZ

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon