5 weeks post Male Breast Reduction, I still have swelling and my right nipple is bigger than left side. (photo)

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after male breast reduction

Swelling and some difference in size are normal after these procedures.  Prior to the procedure, most patients have some degree of asymmetry not only in the area of the gynecomastia, but also of the size of the pectoralis muscle.  The gynecomastia tissue can also vary from soft fat to dense breast tissue and this will affect the postoperative swelling. The more muscular you are, and you appear to be muscular, the more obvious the swelling, because it tends to push off the more dense muscle beneath.  In general the obvious swelling starts to dissipate after 6 weeks, but is not gone for at least 3 months and sometimes a few months longer.  Give it more time.

John Borkowski
Mid State MD, LLC

John Borkowski, MD
Hartford Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in Gynecomastia or Male Breast Reduction

I could imagine that your plastic surgeon must told you that you will need a six to nine months period to see your final result, because of the Edhema. You must be patient, 5 week is not enough. By the way I see a great result in the picture. 

Luis Lopez Tallaj, MD

Post-op Swelling Gynecomastia

The average time for healing is 4-6 weeks, although some patients may heal differently due
to diet, travel, etc.  Massaging the area can help.  I would give yourself 3 months for full results.

Charles A. Wallace, MD