Sagging of Skin Post Gynecomastia Op? (photo)

I had surgery on 24th June. The skin is sagging just below the stitches of my left areola. It is not seroma as it is hard underneath. Only the part below the stitch is hard. I don't know what it is. I am regularly wearing my chest belt for the compression. It is not red. Is this regular swelling or sagging or excess skin ? How long should I wait and see before going to the doctor? The sagging part is hard and it persists just below the stitches.

What to Expect While Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Sometimes the skin contraction does not progress as we anticipate. Start intensive massages and maybe external ultrasound therapies. If after 3 months there is excess skin ridge than consider excision. 

Gynecomastia and swelling and sagging

You are still very early from surgery. I would give it several months to settle down.  It may improve with some time.

Gynecomastia result

Give it time.  You are less than a month postop and there is still a lot of healing that needs to occur.  The skin may retract and, if it does not do so sufficiently, then revision is possible.

Smaller scars mean less skin tightening

There is varying degrees of skin excess as well as breast tissue in patients with gynaecomastia.  In order to remove the excess skin, you would need more extensive scarring, either all the way around the areola, or sometimes on to your chest.  In order to minimise the scars, we often remove the excess breast tissue and hope that the excess skin will recoil, however it can take months to do so. 

Try and stay healthy, avoid smoking and eat and drink well and hopefully you will get some recoil of the skin in time.  If it does not recoil sufficiently, then you may need a revision to remove the excess skin, but try to be patient.  Good luck.