Question on Dutasteride. Any suggestions?

I have a Question on Dutasteride. I have heard many times it is dangerous to use it for Male Pattern Baldness but why it has released in Japan ? Say the studies that it is safe now or equal safe like Finasteride ?

Theoretically Dutasteride should be at least as effective as finasteride for male pattern baldness. However it likewise carries the same warning profile as finasteride for serious side effects. It blocks DHT at two receptors instead of one as in finasteride. Finasteride has been around longer and it is my personal choice based on experience and familiarity. You can read our website section that deals with the information of different hair loss medications on the link below.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Dutasteride is approved and is available in the USA.  Let's clarify the issue. 

Dutasteride was in fact FDA approved for treating men with prostate enlargement (called benign prostatic hyperplasia) back in 2002.  It did not receive approval for hair loss treatment but is used off label by many physicians. 

Some studies have suggested a higher risk for sexual dysfunction with dutasteride. But not all studies have shown this. Some studies have suggested that 0.5 mg dutasteride is more effective than 1 mg finasteride. 

There are issues concerning reduction in sperm counts and use in young men. 

All in all, you need to have a good thorough discussion with a hair loss expert. Is dutasteride used in the USA for hair loss? Sure, some physicians do use it as an 'off label' use.  But whether it's right for a given patient can only be answered on a case by case basis. 

This medication is not approved by the FDA in the US. It does have more reported side effects and some reports of sterility. I wrote about this before see below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon