Loosing hair in donor area after Hair Transplant, will they grow back? (photos)

Hi... i have done my HT 13 days befor. Today i see my right side donor area(photo attched) which contain less hair than other donor area. Before some days i also clicked image of that right side donor area(image attached) but that time it was fine. Is there any chances of lossing hair in donor area after hair transpalnt ? Will they grow back?

Losing hair after a hair transplant

If you are losing hair after a hair transplant, then you may be experiencing shock loss (see below for discussion)

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair thinning post surgery

You either have had overharvesting of your donor area or have post-op donor area effluvium (i.e. shock loss).  If the area was overharvested, it will not grow back, but it sounds as this is a new development, which means it is likely donor area effluvium - which is likely to grow back over the course of a year.

Either way - you should see your surgeon to show them what is going on. Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Donor loss

I recommend that you should follow up with the surgeon who performed your procedure for an evaluation to address your concerns.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Shock loss after hair transplant

There is a possibility - due to operation stress - that a number of hairs will fall out in the post-operation phase. This generally temporary occurrence is known as "shock loss", and may last just a few weeks or possibly months. In certain cases, donor hairs and neighbouring hairs may fall out after a hair transplant (for instance when dense packing has been performed). This should not worry patients, as the hairs generally regrow once the shock loss period has ended. Moreover, the cell responsible for regrowth remains in the scalp even though the grafted hair falls.

Jean Devroye, MD
Belgium Hair Restoration Surgeon