Lip lift or fat transfer? (Photo)

I am 20 yrs old.never had any medical procedure done .I always had thin upper lip and I want to have lip augmentation but i am not sure which procedure should have.I want a permanent lip enhancement so should i have lip lift or fat transfer? Distance between my nostrils and lip is 1.5 cm. Please help.and please tell me about scarring also

Should I have a permanent lip procedure for my first time?

Based on your pictures I would not consider your upper lip thin.  Generally the lower lip is larger than the bottom.

In a 20 year old patient I may recommend that to start off with a temporary filler such as Juvederm.  If you like the appearance you can continue with this type of treatment or consider fat injections for a longer lasting enhancement.

The upper lip lift is permanent and  may leave you with a larger upper than lower lip.  It also includes a small incision under the base of your nose, and does not address the lower lip.

Be patient and consult with many doctors.

Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift for thin lips

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.

• You need a consultation before you have anything done.
  • Your photo suggests that the issue may be over-activity of a muscle at the base of the nose - the depressor nasii.
  • This can be treated with Botox or with surgery to release the tension on your upper lip.
  • You may also benefit from a small lip lift but first the muscle imbalance needs to be discussed. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lift or Fat

You are lucky enough to have no wrong choice here. You actually have good volume and really only see a deficit on smiling. Simple augmentation with fat is a reasonable option with no scarring.

Considering you for a lip lift would be easier if I could see your entire face but you are on the border of what I would call a long upper lip (and therefore a good candidate for lift). A lip lift procedure removes skin beneath the nose to pull up (and roll out) the upper lip. When done correctly it has almost no scarring. Keep in mind your lip would appear even closer to your nose when smiling than it does already.

I would recommend consulting with a board certified specialist who can go over the various ways to customize this procedure for your goals. Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. Fat transfer is the only natural method for potential permanent results and may require two to three treatments to achieve a permanent result as the body absorbs much of the injected fat. Direct lip lift, sub-nasal lip lift and corner lip lift are permanent results as well that update the shape of the lift and remove extra skin tissue. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon