In Case Some Form of Skin Excision is Required. How Many Different Techniques Are There? (photo)

In case some form of skin excision is required. How many different techniques on how to excise the skin is there?. If skin excision = will have a scar. What are the different excision option. If Liposuction alone may result in more skin redundancy?

Male Breast Reduction Surgery and Skin Excision?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes,  in some cases of “male breast reduction”, skin excision is necessary and an important part of the procedure.  Scars do result.

In your case, I would definitely recommend skin excision as part of your procedure.  I would not offer you  and operation involving liposuctioning alone;  the aesthetic results would be unacceptable.

There are a variety of different patterns of skin excision that can be utilized;  exactly what operation is performed will vary from one patient to another ( based mainly on physical examination).  Generally speaking, an incision around the areola and skin excision parallel to the inframammary crease may be a good option,  if a significant amount of “vertical laxity” of skin does not exist.

I would suggest that you reach a long-term stable weight ( if you are not there already) prior to undergoing any surgical procedure. 

Will skin excision be necessary for treatment of gynecomastia?

It is difficult to tell right now if you will need skin excision.  When evaluating a male patient for breast reduction, I first determine if there is actual breast tissue or simply fatty tissue under the nipple.  If it is just fatty tissue, I would recommend liposuction alone and then waiting to see how much the skin will contract by itself over the next 3-6 months.  If there is a significant amount of breast tissue, I would recommend a semicircular incision above the nipple areola complex to allow removal of the breast tissue.  I would still not recommend performing a skin excision at the same time because that would require a more extensive scar.  I would again recommend waiting 3-6 months to see how much the skin contracts.  Even if the skin does not shrink completely, postponing the skin excision allows your surgeon to make a smaller scar.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Transverse scar preferred for male breast skin excision

You will need skin excision with treatment of gynecomastia.  I prefer transverse excision because it is effective in getting rid of the extra skin and it doesn't create a cone shaped breast like the anchor pattern does (as do derivatives of it).  That is why they were created for the female breast.  Men don't want cone shaped breasts.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Skin Excision With Gynecomastectomy

Skin excision is sometimes needed with a gynecomastectomy and does result in a scar.  I have seen some remarkable contraction of skin following the procedure in some cases.  For this reason, I usually prefer to wait and see if skin excision will be required.  If so it is generally less than would be needed at the time of the original surgery.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

In Case Some Form of Skin Excision is Required. How Many Different Techniques Are There?

Yes you will need  a skin excision simple mastectomy. I can find by researching there are 5 different techniqyues in use for excisional gynecomastia reduction.