I want to remove this tattoo completely. How should I do it? (photo)

Tattoo removal - can it be completely removed?

It is never possible to say that a tattoo can be completely removed. Pico lasers have shortened the amount of treatments by about 1/2 in some cases. Multiple wavelengths are needed for you multiple colors. Picking an experienced provider is the most important factor in doing your research.

How to remove tattoo?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. First, you should know that it cannot be "guaranteed" to remove any tattoo completely.  The way a laser rids the body of unwanted ink, is it shatters the ink into tiny particles and your body absorbs those particles. The latest technology in laser tattoo removal is pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. Pico technology can usually remove the ink in about half as many treatments as the traditional q-switch devices.  Because you body plays a part in the removal, it is impossible to guarantee 100% removal. You can check in your area to see if this type of technology is available.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Pocosecond tattoo removal

picosecond tattoo removal can be more effective than older nanosecond lasers. There are three brands of picosure lasers although there is no comparison of the three lasers. The best wavelength for black ink is the 1064 which is now available on all three systems. Expect a minimum of four sessions eight weeks apart .

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Pico Lasers

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology for laser tattoo removal. Pressurewave technology breaks the pigment down smaller then qswitched lasers making it more easily eliminated by the body. I utilize the PiQo4 laser and the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Laser tattoo removal even with Pico technology is still a process and does require multiple sessions. I think it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon