I have enlarged male breasts which primarily appeared during my growing up days. Help me answer the following issues: (photo)

I have the following questions: 1. looking at the pics, does my chest also have breast tissues or it looks mostly fat 2. To what level of reduction can i achieve with exercise and diet control 3. what things i can do on my own to achieve reduction 4. is surgery required looking at their current shape and size Thank you so much for the answers. Let me know if more pictures will help (side-on etc)

The Types of Gynecomastia & Treatment

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.

Thank you for your question and photos.  Weight loss with diet and exercise will improve gynecomastia somewhat but not completely.  Physical examination is needed to truly assess your condition but you likely have a combination of excess skin, fat and breast tissue given your moderate gynecomastia.  Liposuction alone is unlikely to completely correct the problem. Liposuction with gland removal will give you a better result and you will get some skin contraction naturally without significant scars, but still not complete correction.  Complete correction will require removal of excess fat, gland and skin, but will come at the price of a scar on the chest.  Hope this information helps. Best wishes on your decision.

I would recommend surgical excision

i am normally a big fan of Smartlipo etc  However, I have found that it has a tendency to not 
be aggressive enough. Almost all of my patients are very self conscious. 
i have found direct surgical excision of the breast and fatty tissue in the OR gives 
excellent results.
Of course, you would have to be seen for a full exam.

good luck
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

I have enlarged male breasts which primarily appeared during my growing up days.

Thank you for the question and picture. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Enlarged Male Breasts

Thank you for your pictures.  It looks like you could benefit from gynecomastia surgery.  Only an exam would be able to tell the percentage of fat so seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon

Based on your photo it appears you have gynecomastia, excess fatty tissue, and low nipple position. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Male chest

It is difficult to say if you have mostly fatty tissue vs gland without an exam. Either way you likely need a skin excision and soft tissue excision and elevation of the areola into a better position.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi ImaginaryGuy,

Thanks for the post and the photo. It is difficult to tell based on a picture alone whether the chest is mainly fatty tissue or breast tissue. However, you have several issues:
1) Excess tissue, be it fat or glandular tissue
2) Excess skin
3) Low nipple position

Diet and exercise may help reduce the fatty excess but will not affect the skin, excess breast tissue, or nipple position. This will require surgery. I recommend you see a plastic surgery experienced in gynecomastia surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Your chest

From the photos is appears you have some level of gynecomastia.  There are skin, fat, and gland components that may need to be addressed.  Weight loss will not adequately reduce your breasts, and in fact, may lead to more skin laxity if the weight loss is rapid.  The fix is surgery.

Tim Neavin, MD